A Beka Science

Minniewannabe2

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 24, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st-6th
  • Dates used: through 2010
Wow! We are a heavily trained in the sciences family. So I never thought any science curriculum would meet our expectations. Complicating our expectations, is a DD who is very busy and distracted.

The books are very colorful with real pictures. They are very clear and pertinent to the material. The diagrams and charts are distinct and informative. The material covered is very in depth. And the quizzes and tests are not for the squeamish. Nonetheless, these can be adapted easily to fit your child's abilities.

The experiments may require supplies that one normally doesn't have sitting around the house. Luckily, Homesciencetools.com has lab kits which match the requirements of the text.

Finally, I would recommend purchase of the flash cards, if any, which pertain to each grade. There are many identification requirements such as insects, flowers, birds, orders, etc. as the years go by. The flash cards make learning these much easier.

One doesn't necessarily have to buy the curriculum guide, in my opinion. Each daily section in the text ends with a question set. And the quizzes and texts are clearly marked with the material that is covered.

Enjoy.

SoaringEagle

• Reviewed on Monday, April 26, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
It is colorful, interesting and many experiments/activities but not too many and uses household items (so far). This was used as an extra because my daughter loves science. 1-2x/week we'd read a short section of about 4 pages and then stop.

CrunchyHSMama

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 16, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st Grade
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
We decided to use A Beka Science this year after hearing glowing reviews from many other people we know. I have been very disappointed in this book. Seeing as A Beka really seems to be a grade level (or higher) for most subjects, I was very surprised when I opened my book and realized it was much better suited for my 3 year old then my 6 year old. We have all found this book to be boring. The only experiment we have liked so far is building ramps - and I expanded on that idea and made them build 3 ramps using different materials. Overall, I may use this program again, but I will move up a grade level for sure.

foreverd04

• Reviewed on Monday, April 20, 2009
  • Grades Used: 4th grade, but used 5th grade text
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
Although my dd is in 4th grade we chose to use Abeka's 5th grade textbook, "Investigating God's World." I cannot say enough good things about this book. The text was interesting, and informative. The photos in the text were gorgeous. My daughter learned tons, and so did I. I don't even like science, and this book made it fun and interesting. (even rocks, bugs, and machines) We did not use the test or quizzes, because we had no need to. My dd remembers things we studied back in September, and still talks about them. The experiments, for the most part, were very simple to do, and easily done with household materials. I couldn't have asked for a better science text this year. My dd has chosen to study Apologia's Zoology books next year, but if not, I would definitely use Abeka Science again, and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a Christian science text.