Landmark Complete Curriculum

white1989

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
  • Dates used: 2007-present
We have used Landmark off and on since Kindergarten with two children. Our oldest is entering 7th. We have tried LFBC, some Abeka, Christian Light, Christian Liberty Press, Alpha Omega, Accelerated Christian Education. And we keep coming back to Landmark. I find that each of the curriculas are basically on-par with each other, knowing that we homeschoolers may swap back and forth between them. I find that some are too expensive, some take up too much time, and we always end up coming back to Landmark. I think this curriculum is what works for our family. It is not colorful, but it gets to the point, offers reasoning/thought questions (more as the child gets older) and requires reports, research, and age-appropriate writing. I like it because it is easy for me - in that the planning and layout is done. My children know what we are doing on Week X, Day X. No question about it. I am caregiver for two chronically ill parents, and a day spent at the hospital means alot of catch up and Landmark helps tremendously. I like that they are KJV only. I like that they offer an accredited academy in high school (which we will use). The only thing I can see that we may need to add (looking forward) is science classes that our state requires that they do not offer, but if you are planning on doing dual credit, etc., Landmark is planned out so that it will be easy to do so without your child being over-burdened. LFBC has been a Godsend to our family. I am thankful they offer this as a ministry, making it affordable for single-income families.

ridiri

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 3, 2010
  • Grades Used: 6th-9th
  • Dates used: 2008-2009, 2009-2010
Landmark helped us out for the two years we were in financial trouble. The Bible courses are doctrinally sound. However, there are serious errors in some of the books, not just typos (which abound).
The Algebra I course had mistakes in the actual instructions to the student (for example, saying a sign was negative when we proved ourselves that it should be positive). This didn't fill my daughter with confidence in a subject she was already nervous about.
The English courses were much worse. Having been an English teacher for 19 years, I could tell my children, "That's really a simple sentence, not compound" and "That's really a gerund, not a participle." After two years of working around all of these problems, I am happy we now have $ to invest in something better.
I realize that Landmark is cheaper because they do everything at their church, but I also know that, with as long as this curriculum has been around, these kinds of errors should have been eliminated long ago. You can have an inexpensive product that still honors the Lord by being the best it can be.

CrunchyHSMama

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
  • Grades Used: Grade 1 English, Bible and Math
  • Dates used: 2009-2010 school year
When I first received this program I was excited. It is simple, black and white - not distracting and overly busy like other programs which just didn't appeal to me. The Math, especially, seemed impressive. Within the first week I knew the English was not for us. It is A LOT of writing, which was way too much for my 1st grader who is just learning to read. Having to write words she couldn't even sound out yet became very frustrating for her. The Math I found to be lacking in certain areas (shapes, measurement, patterns, estimating) and excessive in other areas (addition questions - this makes up 90% of both Math books!) After 6 months we are both burnt out with this Math program. Afterall, how many times can you answer 3+6 without wanting to cry?? Moving on to the bible. The first year covers the Old Testament. There is a new story and bible verse each week. You read part 1 of the story on day 1 and part 2 on day 2 and then answer questions day 3 and 4 and day 5 there is a quiz. Very straight forward. The verses are sometimes a bit much to memorize (for my child, anyways) and the stories are not overly engaging. Often times she forgets them very quickly - evident when there is a review quiz of material covered in previous lessons. Overall, it's not a horrible course, but it gets a bit drab afterawhile.

So, in summary, we will not order the English again. I was very disappointed in it. We are also switching to a new Math. I may consider using the Bible again, but will use it in conjunction with something a bit more lively to keep us from getting bored.

Pluses -- this is a very easy program to use. Lessons are set up on a day1 to day 5 basis, with a quiz every Friday (or day 5).

Con - the Teacher's Guide is NOT a guide. It's an answer key. There are no tips for teaching at all. I was disappointed in this. In the Math, especially, I was hoping for some teacher's tips to help with some things. Counting by 2's for example -- it literally just pops up on a page and says "count by 2's" I had to google and find ways to teach the concept of counting by 2's because there is no explanation on HOW to do this for the child. Not a big deal mabye...but with 3 little ones, I purposely purchased a curriculum that was supposed to have the "foot work" done for you. This is NOT the case with Landmark.

4 Wheelin Momma

• Reviewed on Monday, May 11, 2009
  • Grades Used: 5th grade
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
We used the 5th grade English program this yr.
We didn't use the spelling section, only English.
Overall, I thought it was an "OK" program.
It has a simple, easy to follow layout.
The lessons were short. Depending on the
topic for each week, sometimes we would cover two lessons
a day. I thought some of the lessons could use more
explanations, but for the most part covered what was needed.
I found a couple errors in the answer key and didn't like the layout of it. It only shows the answers and not copies of the student book questions. We are not using it next yr,
but I would consider using it again.