KONOS History of the World

ramonda

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 26, 2007
  • Dates used: 2006/2007
We have been happy with this program. It took some getting used to as your child will be fairly independent and things can get passed over if you (the parent) do not check in regularly. We have scheduled two meetings a week in addition to normal everyday interacting to be sure my son is on track and that I have the materials he needs for coming weeks.

I love how the Art ties in with the history because it keeps my son more interested in Art that way.

There were some core books the program highly recommends that we just could not find to barrow and were far too pricey for us to buy. We have done ok without them...but it has been an obstacle.

Trishy

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 10, 2007
  • Grades Used: 9-11th
  • Dates used: 2006-present
We are using HOW volume I from Konos and find it every bit as engaging as the younger volumes. There is plenty of Biblical comparison of ancient civilization and Christian worldview. So, I do not understand the previous review defining it as evolutionary. To oppose secular world views, one must understand them and Konos is great for helping teens analyze and develop their own thoughts.

History, Geography, and Literature come alive with this program. The one word of caution with Konos is that most parents try to engage in every activity, reading list, vocabulary word...etc. It just isn't possible to move through the program unless you decide beforehand what activities are most important for your children to retain the information. Another words, more ideas and activities are provided than is necessary to do the program. That is really a good thing. The parent and student gets to choose!

Yes, you will need to gather supplies, but they aren't hard to find. Make a list every month, go get them, and you're set.

This program is far more self-teaching than other textbook programs that I have looked into. For history, it is essential to learn deeply about the people, cultures, events, and worldviews involved - memorizing dates just isn't the same. Unfortunately, too many other programs focus on the dates.

I just wish Konos was coming out with their History of the World Volume III. I heard that they would be over three years ago, but nothing yet. It would cover from the Reformation to the Revolution.

Trishy

Michele Mitchell

• Reviewed on Monday, May 3, 2004
  • Grades Used: 9th and up
  • Dates used: 2003-2004
I am so disappointed with this book. I have found it unfriendly as a tacher. The resources were filled with evolution. Even the book asked leading questions about evolution. We had a terrible time sorting through the evolutionary timelines when using the library books. We never really learned how to compare what the Greeks believed verses what a Christian believes.

Lindyl

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 23, 2003
  • Dates used: 97-present
I thought I would say a few things about Konos HOW 1, 2 and 3. (3 & 4 are not yet published-but 3 is in the works! Alas, I had to write my own version of 3 and chose to save American hist for the next year) I have been through this series with my older son and have just completed HOW 1 for the second time with my younger son.

There is a tremendous amount of material in these volumes, covering Western (European) Civilization from Creation and Sumaria to the first World War.(There are also 4 units on Ancient China) It encompasses not only history, but also geography, literature & composition, art history, music history, church history and philosophy. However, the real strong point and beauty of the program is that it is solidly Biblically based and teaches strong critical thinking skills. Jessica leads her students to measure everything by Scripture and compare the consequences of societies and civilizations that rejected God's teaching and leading vs those that followed His direction.

Having grown-up with a public school education--I never learned how to think. I am totally amazed at the way Philip has learned to evaluate and question whatever he reads--weighing it on the one true scale. When he took government last year, I was amazed at his assignments called reaction papers. His writing skills are his weakest area (he inherited this problem from his mother!), but he could THINK! When I tried to figure out where in the world he had acquired this elusive skill, I realized it was from years of Konos HOW. If you have ever had the opportunity to meet Jessica Hulcy, you would understand immediately how she was able to put all of this together. She is a true thinker, as well as doer.

We have used Jessica's wonderful book suggestions (and there are many ranging from grade 7 to college) as a springbaord for finding many more. We always have at least one read aloud going (usually 2--a non-fiction and a historical fiction) that matches our current unit for the week. Then my children have multiple reading asssignments for each week, including a living book and parts of many different books, as well as the research questions that they must answer. We do a few of the projects to help solidify the ideas. But reading is the foundation of HOW. We have learned to never blindly accept one author's opinion (even when stated as fact) and usually compare important info in at least 3 or 4 different resources. It is time consuming...but it is a learning lifestyle.

There is nothing general about HOW. It is explicit and complete--exploring all major topics of West. Civ. When a student completes 3 years of HOW, he will not only know history, but will understand it. It could not be more specific without becoming a graduate level course and is more thorough than basic college Western Civ courses. Jessica builds her curriculum around her timeline so that the students have a place to mentally hang all the information they are acquiring. Then it becomes much easier to see the cause and effects of history.

Great literature is studied in its proper chronological place in history enabling the students to understand the events influencing the writer's life and thoughts. (Jessica was an Eng major.)

I could go on and on about the strengths of this program. I'm sooo grateful to Jessica for her many, many years of hard work. Ladies, no matter which curriculum we choose, I keep thinking how wonderful it will be for our grandchildren to be taught by parents who had a true, Biblically-based education, read many great books, and learned to think in the process! What a blessing!