Bob books

Mamauv8

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 1, 2012
  • Grades Used: preschool-1st
  • Dates used: 2000-2012
Bob books are an excellent way to help your child start to read on their own!
They get progressively add more reading concepts in each set.
I have used them as a stepping stone in teaching all of our children to read and they all have loved them.
I find they are costly to purchase, so I would recommend borrowing them from the library, which we have always done!!
Blessings on teaching your children to read!!

Mamauv8

kristina

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 5, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3 year old
  • Dates used: 2010
I used the first (blue) and second (purple) set, and they were great. My three-year-old moved through them as a supplement to Reading Reflex. He loved them. I had to make sure that he didn't simply memorize the books, but was really reading them. I only let him use them sequentially. Once he could read a book, he could move on to the next, but I didn't let him get ahead, in order to keep the material fresh (because there is not a lot of "story" to the stories.

I thought they were well worth the money, and the fact that they come in box sets made them interesting and novel to my little one. But I saw no need to purchase more than the first two sets. After that, he was reading simple words on his own and needed books that were more interesting.

vsheldon

• Reviewed on Monday, August 29, 2011
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: Jan. 2011-Present
I started my Kindergartner on these this past January, as a supplement to our phonics study. The BOB books are wonderful! I love how the first set introduces new letters to the child and then the child is able to read the book. I would go over the letters with my son to make sure he understood their sounds and the way they blended, then I would have him read the book. These made the reinforcement of reading skills so simple! The second set includes a list of words covered, including sight words, in the back of the book. These are a handy review before proceeding on to the next book. These are the only two sets we've used, but I may purchase the rest of the sets to use as a supplement to Classical Phonics and Storytime Treasures, simply because my son loves his BOB books!

Lindzy

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 2, 2011
  • Grades Used: Pre-K
  • Dates used: 1993-1994
I figured I would add a different perspective. My parents used this with me when I was 3 years old and I loved it. I was reading fluently (from other books, too) before my fourth birthday. They only had Set A back then, but it really made reading easy and enjoyable. I reread them for fun years after I was reading more advanced books. Heck, I still have the first book memorized (not that that's hard). My only word of caution is your children might end up coloring in the pictures. (Poor Sam ended up the most amusing shade of green.)