Keystone National High School

effie2344

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 1, 2014
  • Grades Used: Highschool
  • Dates used: 2010-2014
My child's experience with Keystone was a nightmare. There is hardly any decent teacher interaction. The only interaction you get are the comments on your assignments and the occasional email if something goes wrong. It is unbelievably unmotivating. If you're looking for a one-on-one type of teacher to student relationship, you won't find it here. They always seem to comment with minimum amount of effort.

One time, they accused my daughter of plagiarism. What happened was that they used the "Turn It In" anti-plagiarism website to scan my daughter's essay and it detected the her quotes as plagiarism. Everything was sited properly but the teacher didn't bother to double check or pay attention. There is absolutely no way to find out of your child's essay is plagiarism-free by their standards. We just have to pray she doesn't get accused of something she didn't do.

My daughter also took a language course and had major problems. No grammar was ever taught in the course but they expected you to write paragraph upon paragraph. Insane. Most of the audio that was provided was not clear at all to the ear. None of it was slowed down either which made everything difficult because they expected you to decipher it.

On top of that, I've often found that some of what they state as fact, is simply not true. Inconsistent as well. The courses haven't been updated for a good five to ten years depending on what course you're taking. The curriculum is not very good either in general. If you want your kid to have a good education, teach them yourselves or find a different option. If you want your kid to improve their writing, Keystone doesn't help with that. All the teachers only care about is if your kid has done the assignment according to the instructions (i.e. 500 words, 3 paragraphs, certain topics). If your child has any major problems with anything, they don't lend a helping hand, they simply tell you you're wrong and deduct your grade points. It is infuriating and stressful on me and my child. Our relationship has strained because of it.

Keystone is not for the unmotivated. If you don't know if your kid is motivated or not to get through school, I suggest that you don't have them enroll in Keystone. Keystone is all on the internet (not including some textbooks). I found my kid surfing the web instead of homework on numerous occasions. She didn't have the self-discipline to manage the heavy work load and why should she at such a young age? Kids just want to be kids. Keystone sucks out all social life and forces your kid to find other outlets that aren't particularly preferable. If you want to get your kid through keystone, you need to be there to guide them through it at all times. You need to make sure your kid is on schedule by mapping out their curriculum so they don't fall behind. Otherwise, more likely than not, your child will regress and probably not graduate on time. I know of six kids that enrolled in Keystone and not one of them graduated on time. It takes years to get back on track from going through this school. Resentment from your child will also be a huge factor in the future if they don't get their degree when they should have gotten it. It breaks my heart to see my child suffer through more years of Keystone high school while all of her old friends are in college.

Please find another option. Most likely, your child will not excel with Keystone.

jill2020

• Reviewed on Monday, January 20, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My best advice for anyone is too try it out. Don't listen to everyone's reviews because everyone is different. My daughter is excelling and loves the school, but every child is different and you have to search before finding the best fit. There is also a 30 day money back guarantee so there is no harm in trying it out. I would totally recommend it, but again everyone is different.

Emerkat

• Reviewed on Sunday, November 3, 2013
  • Dates used: 2013
We are having a terrible experience with Keystone. My 4.0 honor student son is taking English III and it has been a nightmare. The instructions in the assignments are inconsistent with rubrics, the assignments expectations are unclear, and there are so many spelling and grammar errors in the online stories, essays etc., it is unbelievable. When we have contacted the teacher for clarifications she has been extremely condescending. The only response we ever get from her is "this is an upper level class" insinuating my son is not intelligent enough. She has never answered a direct question, so much so I emailed the curriculum director and asked if there really WAS a teacher ... I truly began to think the responses were computer generated. The director was not helpful and only defended the teachers (non)responses. We are half way through this course and it is the first time my son has ever dreaded school. Can't wait to get it over with and move on! How do we find good online courses?? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sakki

• Reviewed on Friday, June 21, 2013
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I agree completely with Pascale.

". . . that looks more and more like a cheap instructional substitution slapped together in the cheapest way possible and monitored by teachers that are obviously using the platforms to boost up their income from regular sources without actually having to teach."

We found that some teachers are virtually useless because they refuse to respond or may not know how to do anything -- they are not really teaching. You're child is teaching him or herself.

Furthermore, the school officials do not respond. I was advised to call the head of curriculum. She was out of the office and then never returned my call. Never. I wonder why? Obviously doesn't care.

My child is completely bored with it. You're better off with a math tutor and a writing tutor and maybe a biology tutor too. Most students benefit from interaction with actual teachers.