Keystone National High School

homesmom

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 21, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
this was a terible mistake for my son the school was a nightmare come true there was no teacher student interaction at all when my son sent emails about questions on his work they will not anser for at least a week and sometimes will not anwser at all and when it was time for my son to go on to the next grade level he didnt get no email saying if he would go on 9th grade or failed the grade this was such i mistake. i advise not to use the school your child will not exell my son was doing good at first but close to the end of the year he started to fail in some subjects i montitored him to see if he does his work and he was doing it all complete and fairly right all the time i can not explain why his grades dropped

evad

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 21, 2014
  • Grades Used: 10th-11th
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My experience with Keystone started like everyone else's. I loved it. It appeared to be the perfect solution! I was home schooled until middle school, then I started to go to public school. I had some issues with a more than creepy teacher in sixth grade and transferred another city over. We were still in the same county as the school I transferred to, which I'll call school "B." I loved school B, and I had an amazing time there. I made a ton of friends and I was really involved in the community. Unfortunately, after trying to move for about 6 years, we hadn't been able to move into the city that the school was in and I was told I could no longer go to the school I loved because I was out of zone. So I went back to school A, then in my sophomore year of high school. I figured I wouldn't be as miserable since it was high school and not middle school. BOY! Was I wrong. I loved school and I was a 4.0 student. My grades started dropping, and I was miserable as ever. So my parents pulled me out and enrolled me in KNHS for math and science; I did history and English with my mother. I was finally enjoying school again but I couldn't stand the fact that whenever I needed help from one of my teachers about a topic, they would dance around the subject in emails and seemingly do everything they could to not help. I figured it was just the teachers, so I decided to try my junior year with one Keystone course and the other three with my mother. Yet again, the same issue. The teacher took three days to a week to email me back on a simple question which I could not continue my work with out (on more than one occasion.) I have a job and I study, so I clearly can't spend a week on ONE assignment. After a week of waiting, I'd finally get an email back. Instead of a simple explanation, he would dance around the bush and not answer the question for another two-three days.
My advice to you, as a student, if you are looking to enroll your student in an online school, beware of Keystone. The courses are outdated, the teachers are unwilling to help, and the teachers are apparently unwilling to realize, while the students are minors, most of us do have jobs and schedules to work around. Let alone the fact that you're paying upwards of $500 per course for a teacher to not teach your student. I un-enrolled in Keystone, but instead of giving my family a refund, we were asked, "Would it be okay if you all made one more payment?" Really?

msemble

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 12, 2014
  • Grades Used: High School
  • Dates used: 2009-2013
My child's experience at Keystone started out great, but ended in a complete nightmare. I enrolled my son at Keystone because he was going through a tough time in his middle school. It was a combination of being bullied and problems we were having with the NYC Department of Education. I turned to Keystone because I felt it would be a way for son to get his feet back on the ground, and it would be less stressful way for him to complete his high school education and to deal with some of his issues. Everything was going fine for the first 20 credits of the 21 credits needed for graduation. My son was doing great, achieving a near 90 average for this first 20 credits. He completed over 4,000 assignment over the first 3 plus years, and he really enjoyed the classes, He felt challenged by the work load and assignments he was completing. I never saw him happier, but something went terribly wrong. During my son's final year, we had to deal with many personal issues, including our home and possessions being destroyed by Hurricane Sandy and dealing with family health issues. Despite all of these complications, my son made every effort to complete his work, despite not living in his home for most the most of the school year, losing all of his possessions, including his computers, text books, etc. He worked hard and actually competed 4 out of the 5 classes he enrolled in in his final year. His final class that he needed to finish was Chinese. This is where our nightmare with Keystone began. Despite not having any feedback with his teacher, my son was able to complete almost 90 percent of the class. This what I thought he had completed. It turns out that his Chinese teacher for some reason thought my son was cheating and was not using the proper tools that the school required. It turns out that his teacher did not grade almost 90 percent of the assignments that he completed and submitted. The language the teacher to describe my son is language I cannot use on this site, Also my son was really hurt by these comments and went back into a deep depression. I tried to talk to his teacher, and even submitted all of the assignments he completed, but she refused to even get in touch with me, and a year later these assignments have not yet been graded. The head of the school gave us options that were not acceptable, and really has not been responsive to over a year of e-mails and letters to my son's situation. The option they wanted us to agree to was for my son to take another course from scratch. This was unacceptable because my son completed the assignments necessary to complete the course he originally signed up for. My son's health took a turn for the worse, and he is now in critical condition. He is suffering from a deep depression and is dealing with other health issues. I wanted Keystone to grade the assignments so he could get his high school diploma before he loses his battle. I even submitted his work for this course to other teachers who specialize in Chinese, and they graded his work, and said that my son had done the work the correct way , the tools he used were in compliance with Keystone standards, and did enough to easily pass the course. The staff at Keystone, especially the head of the school did not want to hear about it, and wouldn't even respond about the findings of other teachers. Is this the way a school should operate? It seems to me that the administration at Keystone doesn't care about their students, and in my opinion shouldn't be allowed to continue to operate as an accredited school. I know that there aren't many options out there for online learning, but I would strongly suggest you find another school, because or child deserves a school that cares about their needs and doesn't fight you every step of the way. Keystone is not the place to achieve this.

effie2344

• Reviewed on Saturday, February 1, 2014
  • Grades Used: Highschool
  • Dates used: 2010-2014
My child's experience with Keystone was a nightmare. There is hardly any decent teacher interaction. The only interaction you get are the comments on your assignments and the occasional email if something goes wrong. It is unbelievably unmotivating. If you're looking for a one-on-one type of teacher to student relationship, you won't find it here. They always seem to comment with minimum amount of effort.

One time, they accused my daughter of plagiarism. What happened was that they used the "Turn It In" anti-plagiarism website to scan my daughter's essay and it detected the her quotes as plagiarism. Everything was sited properly but the teacher didn't bother to double check or pay attention. There is absolutely no way to find out of your child's essay is plagiarism-free by their standards. We just have to pray she doesn't get accused of something she didn't do.

My daughter also took a language course and had major problems. No grammar was ever taught in the course but they expected you to write paragraph upon paragraph. Insane. Most of the audio that was provided was not clear at all to the ear. None of it was slowed down either which made everything difficult because they expected you to decipher it.

On top of that, I've often found that some of what they state as fact, is simply not true. Inconsistent as well. The courses haven't been updated for a good five to ten years depending on what course you're taking. The curriculum is not very good either in general. If you want your kid to have a good education, teach them yourselves or find a different option. If you want your kid to improve their writing, Keystone doesn't help with that. All the teachers only care about is if your kid has done the assignment according to the instructions (i.e. 500 words, 3 paragraphs, certain topics). If your child has any major problems with anything, they don't lend a helping hand, they simply tell you you're wrong and deduct your grade points. It is infuriating and stressful on me and my child. Our relationship has strained because of it.

Keystone is not for the unmotivated. If you don't know if your kid is motivated or not to get through school, I suggest that you don't have them enroll in Keystone. Keystone is all on the internet (not including some textbooks). I found my kid surfing the web instead of homework on numerous occasions. She didn't have the self-discipline to manage the heavy work load and why should she at such a young age? Kids just want to be kids. Keystone sucks out all social life and forces your kid to find other outlets that aren't particularly preferable. If you want to get your kid through keystone, you need to be there to guide them through it at all times. You need to make sure your kid is on schedule by mapping out their curriculum so they don't fall behind. Otherwise, more likely than not, your child will regress and probably not graduate on time. I know of six kids that enrolled in Keystone and not one of them graduated on time. It takes years to get back on track from going through this school. Resentment from your child will also be a huge factor in the future if they don't get their degree when they should have gotten it. It breaks my heart to see my child suffer through more years of Keystone high school while all of her old friends are in college.

Please find another option. Most likely, your child will not excel with Keystone.