Key To Math

jtrogdon

• Reviewed on Monday, May 22, 2006
  • Grades Used: 3 - 8
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
The Key to Math series has been terrific for my children. I gave each of my three kids all the level one books and they worked through them at their own pace (I required a larger number of pages to be completed for my 8th grader each day and only 2 - 3 pages for my 3rd grader with the 5th grader falling in between). Once all the level one books are completed they received all the level two books. They have really liked this approach because it gives them variety and the freedom to choose what part of math they will work on next.

I did find that for my 3rd grader retention was an issue and have decided to hold off on more of this program for a while. She seems to need a lot more repetion at this stage than the other two do. However, these books provide plenty of repetion for the average student - 3rd grade may be just slightly too young if your child is not a math whiz.

Overall this is the best math series I have found to date and I highly recommend it.

juicygirl4u731

• Reviewed on Friday, December 2, 2005
  • Dates used: 2005-
I really like Key to Math this is the 6th year I have used it in fourth I did fractions then in 5th I did Decimals and in 6th I did percents an in 7th I did measurment and metric measurment. This year I am doing Algebra I love these books beacause they are not intimadating at all when I pull out my math book I am not afraid I do almost everything on my own. I really think these books are clear, understanding and sometimes fun and exciting. It feels so good when I move from one book to the next there is a test in the back of each book and they are very simple! I am on book three and it is very well exsplained. Next year I will do Geometry which I have already done four books in two months!
This is a great math curriculum.
I really have enjoyed it!
Whitney

Lisa Nelson

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
  • Grades Used: 5th up
  • Dates used: 2005+
We started using Key to...with my daugher the last half of 5th grade, when we got sick of the district text! We started with fractions, and then in 6tah grade she did decimals, and has almost finished percents. In 7th grade we are doing algebra. We do all the books in the topic, others choose to do book 1 of each subject, then book 2, etc. I recommend the series IF you are homeschooling for the long run. I say that because at any given point in middleschool my daugher will not have all the topics they do in the classroom, but by the end of middleschool she will have had them all, and then some. The illustrations look juvenile at first, but they are not. They are very good at making concepts clear. The books are inexpensive too! Our homeschool advisor tried to tell us Key to... was "remedial" but it is not. They say they are mainstream middleschool, gifted elementary or remedial highschool. I do not agree with "remedial" for the algegra and geometry ones, there are t hings in those I forget! Plus, our local community college (jr. college) has the algebra books for there pre-algebra classes. So, they are perfect for middle school and at least grades 9, 10.

Cindy

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 5, 2003
  • Grades Used:
  • Dates used: 2001-2003
I found that the Key To series was very helpful for my daughter, who always got a headache when it was time for math.
Each topic(fractions, percents,decimals,algebra, etc.)had several workbooks which, when finished, gave her a sense of accomplishment. They were not overwhelming to her and she enjoyed them more than a math text.
The concepts are taught slowly and to the student so that they can learn on their own. When the books are finished they have thoroughly learned that concept.
They are great for refreshers or summer school.
The only thing you will need to supplement is review as each book covers only the concept being taught.