A Beka Math

Druanna

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 4, 2016
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
Solid math curriculum. Uses spiral method which, as a mastery learner myself, made ME nervous to teach but my child seems to learn better with this method anyway. I did not buy the whole curriculum for kindergarten, just the math program. It did not tell me what to say or give me a script but, as it is kindergarten math, that wasn't a huge deal. My child now knows how to count to 100, can count by 10s, 5s, and 2s. Does basic addition and subtraction, how to read written numbers up to 10, read basic time on an analog clock, etc. I feel she's well prepared for 1st grade.

ndg1974

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 29, 2015
  • Grades Used: K4-3rd
  • Dates used: 2010-2015
A Beka Math is an extremely solid math program. When used as intended along with the curriculum guides, it sets a very strong foundation in developing math skills that will be essential to a child that is college bound. No, it is not the easiest math program available so if you are looking for an "easy" program, this would not be a good fit. Nor would it be a great fit if you are interested in a hands-off approach where you want to give your child a worksheet to complete on their own without spending time on direct instruction. There are other programs better suited for this approach. Your child will miss out on a great deal of learning if you do not use the curriculum guides. They outline what a child needs to be learning each day as well as offer suggestions on how to teach those objectives. When used as A Beka has intended and written the program to be used, it is an excellent program but when not used as intended it will likely not work as well nor will you see the same results. This is an excellent program if your long term goal for your child is college.

txwaandrews

• Reviewed on Monday, September 29, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd Grade
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My daughter attended public school for Kinder and 1st grade. She was an advanced reader and excelled in all subjects as well as conduct wise. We purchased the complete set of A Beka for 2nd grade on DVD for our first year of homeschool.

MATH REVIEW- I believe the methodology used for it is the "spiral" method. I think this is definitely up to each individual kid- but I will say, unless your child just really enjoys the subject- its not a pleasant curriculum to teach with, or methodology.

I say this because it never really allows for practice and learning. It introduces new concepts, allows for a few problems of work and mixes them in with all other concepts and just keeps growing and growing (spiral). It NEVER allows them to get comfortable in an area and basically asks their brain switch many different gears daily by doing different things that they never got the hang of to begin with. It's like a daily "cumulative review"- which would be fine if any of the work really allowed them to grasp concepts........

So at the end of the year, they've seen a lot of things- but do they really understand them and are they good at them???

I'd like to point out that my daughter made a 90 or above on each and every test using this (and I promise I don't rescue or aid!). So it's not like she has any learning problems- but she didn't enjoy this at all.

I think in math this style of teaching is either a FIT or NOT. And I definitely think you need to decide whether you are out for QUALITY or QUANTITY in terms of math.

We have since switched to a new curriculum. It covers one area or concept per lesson. Provides great visuals and ways to solve problems and really understand numbers. It gives you guided work to get them started and practice, then exercises to do independently-EACH DAY. To see my daughter move from day to day and complete large amounts of problems getting most all answers right and not being frustrated is a real blessing. I feel like she is really solid and confident moving from one concept to the next now. And that her foundation in math is strong and won't crumble years down the line. (SINGAPORE MATH)

jwolfe96

• Reviewed on Friday, June 14, 2013
  • Grades Used: k-5th
  • Dates used: 2005-2013
I've been reading some of the reviews on this site and I cringe when I read that ABEKA is not hands on, or just a bunch of worksheets.

let me just say, that my guess is that these parents are not using the ABEKA curriculum properly. And if you don't use a product the way it was designed , then you should not expect positive results.

ABEKA is a classroom curriculum, adapted for homeschooling. A classroom has a teacher that teaches lessons. She doesn't just hand out worksheets and says "work the problems". At least I hope not! This curriculum is designed to be used with a teacher's manual. If you are not using the manual, your kids are not getting out of the curriculum all that they could be.

If you follow the manuals, which are extremely detailed and full of hands on activities and concrete applications and reviews; the lessons will make more sense, and won't feel disjointed or like they are going too fast.

The worksheet is not the lesson. The lesson is in the T.M. (teacher's manual). The worksheets and speed drills are tools to help apply the concepts taught in the T.M.

I've used this program with all three of my kids: ages 7,9, and 11. They are all very different. My third one is on the autism spectrum and struggles with ADHD. They are all learning, and doing well. I tweak the lessons to accommodate each one's style, but I do the lessons, reviews, and speed drills. I don't do the tests. I use the General Reviews at the end of each section to evaluate their learning.

If you are not willing to use the manuals, then don't waste your money. Find a curriculum that is meant to be "self teaching". Like Teaching Textbooks, for example. Just my two cents.
12345678910...