Getty Dubay Italics

Rachel R.

• Reviewed on Friday, April 14, 2006
  • Grades Used: K-2nd
  • Dates used: 2004-6
My kids all loved learning to write with these books.

Unfortunately, as the other reviews here noted, they can not read traditional cursive.

I am now going through a quick and easy workbook to teach them traditional cursive. I would like them to be able to read a handwritten note in cursive, and I know they will develop their own style of writing eventually.

My "sloppy" writer has a hard time with italic cursive, in that I have a hard time reading her words. Her printing on the other hand, is acceptable.

My advice would be this, Italic is a great beginner program for younger children learning to write. Eventually though, you may want to throw some traditional cursive in there so they know both.

Linda Townsend

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 23, 2005
  • Grades Used: (Pre-K)
  • Dates used: 2005
My daughter is just four, but she is advanced in many ways -- except, I think, less so with her motor/hand skills. We were using a magna-doodle for a while with her reading program. (See my review on "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.") This year I encouraged her to color, draw, and do pre-writing exercises more. When she began tracing words outside of our lesson time, I decided to start with this program.

Although we have just started with this program, I feel that I have personal experience with this style. I had developed my own style of italic handwriting when I was in junior high, as I thought regular cursive was hard to read, tiring to write, and wasted time. My grandfather had a style that I thought was beautiful, a combination of printing and writing that influenced me. Therefore, I was very drawn to the italic handwriting style for teaching my daughter also.

As with nearly every program, I just have to modify it a bit. I make copies of the practice page and put a plain sheet of paper on top. Then I place these two papers on top of a thin, cool light box. My daughter can easily see the practice page through the sheet she will be writing on. She actually begs to do the "light box lesson."

I have read reviews about how older children taught italic handwriting cannot read other people's manuscript writing. I STILL have problems reading family member's handwriting. Remember that I learned to write and read manuscript to begin with. Perhaps, in some cases, the problem is not with the child. And, if your child rather print than write, what is the problem with that? I began printing when I was a young adult because it is neater and easier for others to read.

My only concern with using this program was that the italic handwriting style is not well supported by other learning programs. My daughter can recognize letters in many fonts, but I was hoping to find a reading program that supported the italic handwriting. Recently, I ran across "Reading Made Easy" that uses an italic font very similar to this one. I have not used the program yet, but my initial overview of it is that it looks similar to EZ Lessons with more emphasis on phonics rules and it is a Christian-based program.

Getty Dubay Italics

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 21, 2005
  • Grades Used: K-6th
  • Dates used: 1995-2005
I think after all these years that I can judge this program accurately. Great idea if you have a really neat kid, horrible program for the not so neat kid. Now at age 15 and 13 my kids still cannot read anything written in cursive. Sure you can teach them cursive reading, but why teach one thing and train in another? And its not as easy as it sounds, I have shown them charts and other things to help in the reading of cursive, but they struggle. It╞s really embarrassing that my kids can╞t read anything in cursive. And for the sloppy kid, his handwriting looks like scribble and he prefers to print. His printing is fine. Now with a 6 and 5 year old ready to write I am looking for a cursive program. Yeah, italic was pretty to look at in the book, but not practical. Even for the neat kid, others find many of the letters when joined in a word not readable. I am now on the hunt for a better program.

jac

• Reviewed on Friday, February 11, 2005
  • Dates used: Since 1997
My oldest son has gone through all of the Getty Dubay books, starting with Kindergarten Level A. He has beautiful writing, and people comment on it all the time. My second son, who also has used these books, has beautiful writing, but tends to be more sloppy outside the penmanship book itself. My third son is just starting it, and I will use it with my youngest (daughter) when her turn comes along. The benefit of this penmanship program, is that they have clear and clean writing with cursive and manuscript. The downside, is that they have trouble reading the regular loopy cursive that other people write. I don't regret using it, but I have had to teach my boys how to read cursive.