Home Study International

Annise

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 7, 2002
  • Dates used: 1999-2002
Home Study International(HSI) is a very good program. I used it when I was a newbie because it covered all the bases and I felt secure knowing that a teacher was over-seeing my son's education. This is an accredited program so it met all the legal requirements for my state(Fl.) and issued a yearly report card. Every 6 weeks the child has a test to take in each subject which you mail off to the teacher for grading. The academic content was good, but to me it was NOT extensive. Math is my son's favorite subject but he was BORED with their math. He said it was 'babyish'. I liked the HBJ language they used, it kept me on target with my son's papers. I do not like papers so if the book was not set up requesting a written assignment monthly, I am sure I would not do it. Spelling words were too simplistic. This is a religious organization's program but the only religious content was the bible program and the reading books. I liked their reading books because it always referred to the Sabbath(Saturday) NOT Sunday so I didn't have to confuse my son. I am now using Switched On Schoolhouse and if I had to compare the two, though they are in different formats, I would state HSI could make their subjects a bit more academically challenging.

Annise