High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

highschool planning for next year 9th grade

highschool planning for next year 9th grade

I forgot how I used to schedule to highschool, it's been a long time! Do you do every single subject every day or alternate days on certain subjects? I'm reviewing my curriculum that I saved from my son. If I alternate these, they'll never get completed in a school year. This looks like too much with 1 extra school activity that is 3 times a week that is non-negotiable.

Bible is everyday
Math is everyday
Apologia Science
Exploring America by Notgrass (reading and literature portion only) literature to go with Exploring America
Wordly Wise book 9
Easy Grammar Ultimate grade 9
IEW SWICC-C everyday writing assignment
Health 1/2 semester during 1st semester
Rosetta Stone Spanish

I don't see where I can rotate days for subjects and get a full year into our year. I just remember in public school having subjects rotated. I honestly can't remember how I did these with my son.

re: highschool planning for next year 9th grade

I struggled with this as well this past year, with my first child being in highschool. I realized that there is no way to do certain subjects in 1 semester, so I just divided the ones that wouldn't take a full year. In my experience, IEW, Wordly Wise, and Rosetta Stone shouldn't take a full semester. And you already have Health as 1/2. So just split those ones up between the 2, but plan to do the subjects like math and science year round. You may be able to double up on Bible and Easy Grammar as well, and divide those between semesters. That leaves you with a few core subjects that you do all year, but the extras can be divided. That has worked well for us this past year, and allowed us to get a lot done. To me, while it's possible to double up on subjects like math and science, it doesn't make sense to try to cram that much information into 1 semester and I can't believe schools can actually accomplish that.

In the ps, when they rotate, it isn't days that get rotated but block periods. If they're on a block calendar year, they won't do a subject for a full year (180 days), but for one block. Then they'll have another subject the next block. They'll have about 3 per block period. The blocks are longer than a standard 50 minute class.

In my home school, yes, we do every subject every day. My sophomore, for example, has algebra 2, biology, Spanish 1, world history, Bible, and English (which comprises world lit., poetry, vocab/spelling, and writing). This is all Abeka.

I think with my oldest and middle they both did most year long subjects 4 or 5 days a week for the school year. And semester courses were about 4-5 days a week for semester. School time was about 5 hours a day most days. Maybe 6 hours to allow for one of them to take longer in math. We still had time to fit in outside activities. And then finish up in afternoon or evening as needed.

Youngest is a whole different story. She's special ed and chooses to wake up at dark thirty and get started with school day so getting lessons in and having most of the day to do interest led activities. Many of her subjects are done in what "narhs" calls the Colorado scheduling style. This seems weird to me even though I do it. But basically you have a focus of about 6 weeks to do one main subject then you change to another course. She still does some things every day (speech therapy, etc), but for example, she did intense study for 6 weeks to do friendly chemistry, or her health semester credit was 3 week burst of lessons (via monarch).
very strange way it turned out with her schedule. very strange. But helping to meet goals with her unique situation. (PS: I don't recommend that style for most cases)

This post was edited on Apr 16, 2018 07:59 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond