High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

physical science ?

physical science ?

I purchased BJU physical science for my daughter. We went through the first 5 or so chapters back in the fall, and it was all tears. So through the advice of a friend, I ordered the DIVE videos to help. And we started over. Been doing it for about 15 weeks now.
But...it is not helping. We're having a hard time fitting the videos and labs together, or shall I say, the videos don't help explain anything with the labs. Also, the lectures and assignments seem to skip all over the textbook quite a bit.

My main question, What are they "suppose" to learn from physical science. I believe most of it is done again in chemistry and physics, but its been a while since I was in highschool and college. From what I remember, chemistry and physics class reviews everything done in the physical science class. Not sure why physical science is even needed.
That probably makes no sense :(
Just think of letting her complete what has to be done and moving on to something else.
Definitely won't be using bju science anymore. This physical science one really did us in although we enjoyed their life science.
Any help or suggestions appreciated,
sharee

re: physical science ?

I haven't used BJU, but most of my kids have taken physical science.

My understanding is that the goal of physical science is to introduce students to many of the concepts they will later see in chemistry and physics, but with more emphasis on basic concepts and less on applied math. Entering a chemistry or physics class without having seen the basic concepts before and immediately being expected to solve physics or chemistry problems using math would be very challenging for some students.

We never did Physical Science, in fact all of our science was light and breezy until High School, we did experiments for fun, took walks and brought with a microscope. I did little work book on the body where you trace yours and then Xerox internal organs to place on the body, we read books and watched magic school bus and other fun videos. All the basic topics got touched on over the years, but we never purchase a text book, and our results were very good, as far as them being prepared for High School science.

When I decided that we would do Apologia in High School, I actually called them because I had heard how
“hard" Apologia was, and I was suddenly struck with fear that we had not taken science seriously enough.

After talking to them about what we had done over the years in our light and fun approach to science, (most of the things I had forgotten we had done until they asked me some pointed question about specific topics,) they were certain that we had done enough science to prep my students for this “tough" course.

And they were right, it was a success. Not because my children are so bright, but because they were old enough/mature enough to understand the words and concepts, and it may have even helped that we did some science over the years, lol. We had no problem going from our light and easy science to apologia biology.

With that said, I wouldn’t worry about physical science as a prerequisite to your biology and chem.

This post was edited on Apr 14, 2018 09:16 AM

After ditching physical science last year because we didn't care for Apologia, we are doing it again this year with DIVE. I realized that my child would probably struggle a lot more with Chemistry next year if he didn't have the basics taught in physical science. So I think it may not be necessary, but it's going to make it a lot easier to understand the harder concepts of Chemistry. That being said, I think maybe DIVE isn't working for you completely because you don't understand how it's supposed to work. The lectures are the main part of DIVE. The textbook is just supposed to introduce the subject. So yes, it does jump all over the place. And I will say some of the reading selections are so long it's ridiculous (we are using the Abeka book.). But it's just a bit of an intro to the lecture, which is the actual teaching part. That's the part they need to be writing notes on and answering questions about. We are really enjoying DIVE and I feel like my son is learning a lot. It's not horribly interesting, but it gets the job done.

I think it's a jump to say that because drawing body parts (and other light and CM style of methods) was enough for preparation for "biology" that it translates into "playing with soda and vinegar will be enough preparation for high school chemistry" or "playing with magnets will be enough preparation for physics". The thing to be "ready for apologia biology" is the ability to read and take notes and learn vocabulary. It's memory work and written in mind for high school age. So the CM approach is great to get ready for that book. However, In order to be best ready for high school chemistry and physics, it takes those skills and math, and a bit of processing skills that come with age.

Usually doing physical science has 2 major purposes:
1. intro concepts to have that for further study. Like it was implied, for some students hearing it a year or two later is good.

2. allow you to get another year of math to be more ready for math based chem and or physics. (and that ties in with just getting older)

Not the purpose of physical science:
Physical Science is not generally viewed as a a pre-req for biology. However, some concepts in the chemistry side of physical science can be helpful information in units on bio chem. But a good text will teach that part.

more opinion about what to do for transcript:
I think you can call it a semester of physical science and move on. If she's in grade 9, and you feel like you want to have a year of stuff, see if you can Physics 101 dvd from someone to borrow and watch some of that. I personally think the physics101 is a "physical science" course and not "physics". Or maybe Chem 101 with it. That could help you have a year credit combined with what you did and take a conceptual approach to help for further study in another year. That might bring the fun of learning back into science without the frustration. Just watch the videos, and enjoy. try to re-create some of the demos if you want "lab". Of course, it's your homeschool so if you call it a year, that's up to you on how your determine credit. I'm just saying what I might do.

and agreeing with the poster who said, you might be using DIVE in a way that wasn't the design. The DIVE courses are the courses and should be the spine of your course. You can use a variety of textbooks as supplements and introduction. They aren't designed to follow any of the textbooks exactly. It's possible that bju isn't going to work for you.

in case it wasn't clear...... I agree that using non textbook approaches is valid for getting high school ready for a text like ap. biol. :) I just also think that to be ready for math based chem and phys in high school, age/maturity and math skills are other factors. Physical Science: more of a way to intro topics prior to a full study. I didn't want lizbeth to think I was disagreeing with her methods or results, so I added this on.

Thanks for the replies. I believe what we're getting stuck on is the labs. She has a hard time putting the lab and lecture together. He talks about "stuff" in the lab that he never covers in the lecture. But we will continue using DIVE, maybe not all of the labs :) for the remainder of physical science. I think as long as she learns some of the vocabulary, that will help with later courses.
Again thanks

Agree with Reisy's summation.

We've used Abeka's physical science with lab in 9th grade. It's rigorous, but doable, and good preparation for the upper level sciences later.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond