High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Graduating Early

Graduating Early

Since the search doesn't seem to be working I can't find if this question has been asked before, so here goes...

Last night my DD who is a sophomore asked about cramming all of 11th and 12th together (maybe doing some over the summer etc to fit it all in) so she can graduate a year early. Has anyone else had experience with this?

This is only our second year homeschooling (though I was homeschooled 1st-8th back in the day). We started in 9th due to some really bad health issues that had come up making it impossible for her to attend a brick and mortar school - those issues are better (Praise the Lord) but we chose to continue homeschool. I know she's getting all the basics pretty well, but electives are pretty sketchy...

I just want to hear from anyone who has either skipped (pushed together) grades ... how did it work out... were there problems transitioning etc.

OR - what you need on a transcript to be accepted into college.
Our local HS says 22 credits average, 26 with "endorsements" and I have a list from them of what it would have taken for her to graduate there... should I just work off that?

My main concern is that she isn't getting enough writing and "projects" in, but maybe that's another post, lol!

Any help appreciated!!

re: Graduating Early

We did this last year with my oldest daughter. She had been homeschooled off and on and had spent her 11th grade year in high school. She is fairly advanced and very mature. She took AP classes in 11th grade and I recognized the content of the classes as junior college material. For example, her AP English class was equivalent to the work done in eng 101 in college. Her entire senior year would have been a complete waste of time filled with busy work, boring electives, and half days of school. She wasn't happy with the public school experience and also had not been happy with homeschooling. So we checked our states requirements for graduation and crammed in those few final things in her last few months of high school. At the end of the public school year, I enrolled he in the covered school that my two other children use, sent in a transcript, and had a diploma within a few weeks. We are in Alabama and it was super simple. She enrolled at the local junior college and is doing very well and getting close to the end of her first year. She didn't experience and problems transitioning other that the typical wake up call that I think all freshman experience learning to be more independent in their school work. She is a very strong writer so had no problems in that area. My son will be graduating two years early this May, and thebolan is the same as her. He isn't a strong writer and has much less experience than her all the way around, but he is very intelligent. The plan with him is to get the credits we need in but not to stress about them. Then he will take placement tests at the junior college and just start whereever he is at. I will be much more hands on with him due to graduating two years early and his lack of exposure to different classes and subjects. im a big fan of allowing kids to grow up. I don't see the value of perpetuating the '"teenage" years in a wasteful way just to say you had those wild free teen years. I watch each of my children closely and know what they can and can't handle. If I knownthey can handle moving forward, I encourage that. I also have a 14 year old who has completely different abilities, maturity level, and personality. I highly doubt taking the same course with her. She will likely take longer before she is ready to graduate and start college.

Yes, it is possible to skip a grade in high school. There was only one issue that we had to be concerned with. We used an umbrella school, and my son was required to take an English credit in summer school because (for our school) 4 English credits were required and they couldn't be taken concurrently.

I hope everything works out for the best, and I am so thankful that your daughter's health issues have improved!

Some of my friends had done a variation on the idea.
Child was advanced in academic work and done with most high school stuff. However, they used their states dual enrollment rules to let child do full time community college while still classified as high school student. Student finished associates degree a few weeks before traditional time of year for high school graduation. After associates degree was done, they then "graduated" student officially from high school. This helped student to be able to enter college with freshman scholarship eligibility instead of being a transfer student since those courses were completed before graduation.

With that many credits, the colleges didn't care if it wasn't exactly looking like public school requirements with career track electives, or PE. health, etc.

In terms of what do you need to call your homeschool requirements as met? That will vary too much. If you have a cover school situation, then you have to work with them. Maybe there's a state where you have to meet stuff in the state even if you homeschool. If it's just meeting needs of college admissions, then look around at where she might apply. In general, many homeschoolers will do similar requirements as public schools (4 years of English, 4 years of math, 3 sciences, and so on like that without worrying about "career endorsements" in the electives. )

and for the search? we all have to use something like google site search these days to find anything on this forum. most of us are assuming management left the building long ago. do you need help to know how to format for google site search?

it really is ok to ask new questions too :)

Thank for everyone's input. It really does sound like this could be the course we take (especially after my daughter pointed out to me that since her birthday is in Oct she would be 18 only 1 month into college... not that big of a difference than most of her freshman peers)

rbairrow, mentioned finding out the state requirements for graduation. Do you know where to find that (other than asking a public HS what theirs are)? We're in Texas so there are probably differences from what you learned.

I looked at the admissions requirements page of the nearest state college to us and it was pretty confusing. Their website mentioned that you have to fill out this special form if courses on the "Recommended High School Program" aren't offered at your school and specifically mentioned homeschool in that list, but it also said this was in place of a transcript so I don't know if that means they won't accept a homeschool transcript?.... maybe I need to call the registration office for clarification but anything you've experienced could help as well.

mentioned finding out the state requirements for graduation. Do you know where to find that

I'm not rbairrow, but this is the common way to do that

google search.
use terms such as
texas high school graduation requirements

here is link to the Texas DOE (dept of education) with more info than you can shake a stick at
https://tea.texas.gov/graduation.aspx

if admissions website for college is confusing, you'll have to ask local friends or the college directly for best info.

cbollin, You ROCK! That website was exactly what I needed!
I don't know why I hadn't found it before (probably because I hadn't done enough research on my own and just trusted that someone on this forum would know the answer, lol!!)

Thank you SO much!

you're welcome

:)

oh, those endorsement things? in my state they call those "career elective pathways". (college prep pathways too). It sounds harder than it needs to be.

but most of us in this area found that we just need to do a normal "college prep" path to be college ready and not get too worried if we don't have 3 related career electives.

I hear some stories on forums about needing engineering classes while in high school. and well, uhmm. we didn't. and yet somehow my oldest was accepted to engineering, and is graduating from ABET accredited program (in only 9 weeks!!!! eeek!)

I'm just rambling to post a bit.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond