High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

High School Math-U-See Reviews?

High School Math-U-See Reviews?

Please share your experiences with Math-U-See. I'm especially looking at Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus. So many choices....
I have Saxon and ABeka on the shelf, but we are not loving ABeka. We have a love/hate relationship with Saxon. ;)

re: High School Math-U-See Reviews?

We tried MUS for highschool this past fall, having never used it before. We had done CLE up until grade 8 with very good results. We did Saxon Algebra 1 for a bit, and while my son did well, I didn't like how long the lessons were and figured we should try something else. MUS was a total bust. It's so different from other math programs, so we couldn't stand it. My son could not understand Demme's approach at all, and we would often watch Youtube videos after each lesson to find a different way to explain it. We just ended up ditching it, and are having great success with CLE Algebra 1.

We are very familiar with CLE math. We used it 100-500.
How long are the MUS lessons? I wouldn't want to watch YT videos on top of already long lessons. I did see your review. :) There aren't many for HS level. Thanks for responding!

We are using Algebra 1.......its is a great program for us.....son is working SLOWLY thru it...Steve's explanations are spot on for us...and if he doesn't get it...we watch it again and it goes better from seeing it again. We are long time MUS users...that could be the difference but it also could be that your not mastered in the Pre algebra review that is in the beginning. Be sure to check that out before you jump ship....and mastery is the clue in this program...do not go on till they get it or they will get lost very quickly. There are extra practice on the website also and also take a look at something called MATH AIDS...its online and free to print worksheets from.

Marne

MUS is working really well for my son. He's in Algebra 2 right now. It's mastery, but there is also a lot of review in each lesson, and that has been perfect for him. If he wasn't constantly practicing all the concepts learned, he would just forget it all right away. We both like and understand Mr. Demme's teaching. I watch every lesson because I don't remember any of this stuff.

We jumped into it last year with geometry, and I've liked it so much that I'm going to start my second son in it next year with Algebra 1. My older son did TT for Algebra 1 and it was a bit too much.

MUS has been a good fit for us so far.

This post was edited on Jan 09, 2018 11:16 AM

I was just looking at the Algebra 2 sample to see story problems for application and they were geometry related. We plan on taking geometry after algebra 2, so this might not work for us since I noticed their sequence seems to be Algebra 1, geometry, then algebra 2. Thanks for the input. I like the looks of MUS, but we've already started algebra 2 and need to finish up with more practice before moving on to geometry.

One of my older boys used MUS for Algebra 1, Geometry, & Algebra 2 with great success after struggling with other programs. My current high schooler is doing well with MUS Algebra 1 as well.

If Algebra 2 is not going well right now, you might consider switching to Geometry and then revisiting Algebra 2. Some kids who have trouble with Algebra will find Geometry much easier and a confidence booster.

If it's just the program you're using now that you don't like and your child does well with Algebra itself, I'd recommend Foerster's Algebra 2 textbook.

Hey everyone, morningsong sent me a message on another forum saying she's experiencing technical difficulties with login on here.
She wanted all of you to know
" I appreciate their feedback. I've actually decided to give MUS a try with both my high schoolers for algebra"

I think this is the thread she wanted to say that on.:)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond