High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

re: how to credit farm work

how to credit farm work

My ds15 helps out at a local dairy farm every Friday, and has done so for the past few months. He doesn't help with milking, but is involved with everything else. Every few weeks he even helps with butchering 75+ pasture raised chickens. He and 2 other boys are also training a team of oxen. I know he is learning so much, but am not sure how to credit the time. Any suggestions? I am keeping track of the hours and have found a form that the man who he is working with could fill out to "grade" his performance//improvements.

I'm loving it because he can't go unless he is caught up with and passing all book subjects....best motivation he's ever had, lol!

A friend of mine gave credit for "animal husbandry" elective for her kids. They had sheep, goats, chickens, and horses and her son helped out at a neighbors farm with pigs. They were also involved with 4H.

Agriculture

Other possibilities:
https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/hst/cssc/toc_1_10.asp

It is endless what one gets out of ag when you stop and think about it. Everything from phys'ed to most of the sciences and every elective in between. Give us a day to breakdown?

I was definitely going to do PE since the 3 boys race bikes, play basketball, or wrestle on the bails of hay during down time. They also skip rocks, explore and build forts around a small creek.

I don't think it is the same every time, but here is a general list of things he has done/does every week...

work with calves (training to be a yoked team)
hay and grain cows
drive cows out to pasture
scrap down barn
feed chickens and turkeys/ collect eggs
feed and water pigs
built pig pen
put up fencing
clean barn (every 6 months - deeper clean than the daily)
cleaned chicken coop
milk calves (seasonal)
feed calves
learning safety and how to drive 4-wheeler
process chickens
general maintenance and repair around the farm
moving various items around the farm as needed

ETA: also helps with farm store - stocking items, packaging
has learned about diseases due to happenings with the cows/calves
participated in a farm food festival held at the farm

Thanks for the suggestions and link! This is great!

This post was edited on Oct 29, 2017 07:42 PM

re: re: how to credit farm work

I was definitely going to do PE since the 3 boys race bikes, play basketball, or wrestle on the bails of hay during down time. They also skip rocks, explore and build forts around a small creek.

I don't think it is the same every time, but here is a general list of things he has done/does every week...

work with calves (training to be a yoked team) - team involvement,working together. Maybe the best way to learn team work.
hay and grain cows - nutrition. Does he think about what he is feeding? Does he smell it? Does he look for mold?

drive cows out to pasture - depending on how he moves them. Team work, Physics, health his and the cows.
scrap down barn - history. They always talk about a barns history while working on it. They might even talk about the history of the land.
feed chickens and turkeys/ collect eggs - and look for sick animals. Eggs come in all shapes and sizes. Does he research any problem eggs?
feed and water pigs - buckets? Lifting weights. Health
built pig pen - pigs!!!! How to build a fortress.
put up fencing - team work, physical education, can he figure out which muscles hurt?
clean barn (every 6 months - deeper clean than the daily) - health animal husbandry.
cleaned chicken coop - does he ever notice the different types of chicken poop?
milk calves (seasonal)- awww, learning to meet the needs of a baby.
feed calves- nutrition
learning safety and how to drive 4-wheeler- Physics!! Think about it.
process chickens - can he tell you with a glandular stomach is? Anatomy.
general maintenance and repair around the farm
moving various items around the farm as needed - Percision. Having things at the right place at the right time makes things easier.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond