High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

MUS Alg. 2 WWYD?

MUS Alg. 2 WWYD?

Me again. I seem to be having a lot of issues this week. *sigh*

Son just started MUS Alg. 2. He's written 2 tests and barely passed both. These lessons are supposed to be review. We didn't use MUS Alg. 1 but I remember all this stuff from TT Alg. 1, which is what we used. I am thinking that this doesn't bode well for the rest of the course.

What would you do? Get MUS Alg. 1 and review it all? Push through? Jump ship?

Or just relax because it's only been 2 lessons?

re: MUS Alg. 2 WWYD?

You sound like me. We've been having problems with MUS algebra 1, and I'm debating the same thing. Do we muscle through or jump ship? For me, I spent TONS of time researching math programs for high school and after all that, decided on MUS. So I don't want to switch. I've been finding extra videos on YouTube to explain things, and we are going very slowly. I'm sitting beside my son for each lesson, and going over the answers one by one so he doesn't make a mistake and keep doing that through the whole page. Is there a reason you didn't keep using TT? Or could you rewatch some of those lessons as review? I know MUS does things differently, so it does seem to be a learning curve here for sure.

Honestly, we didn't keep on with TT because it was really challenging, and I knew that the geometry was proof-heavy and I didn't want to do that.

I think because MUS is so mastery-based, that sometimes they throw things in from previous levels into the mix. So if you've used MUS from the beginning, that's fine, but if you switched to it from another program, it can be problematic.

I'm still not totally sure what to do. My son wants to keep going with Alg. 2, but I also ordered their Alg. 1 in case we want to review some things along the way. My second son will need that course for next year anyway, so I didn't mind buying it.

We're going to attempt Lesson 3 on Monday regardless, because the Alg. 1 won't arrive for another week. And we'll see what happens, I guess!

I would just work on reviewing his algebra skills through MUS Algebra 1 or Khan academy or something similar. Algebra 2 is just hard and I'm sure it's much, much harder than MUS geometry. It is probably just a normal learning curve and part of the process of getting back into the groove of algebra.

It may well be the learning curve. He started Lesson 3 today and did very well, though it took a long time. Only one mistake on the A worksheet, so that's promising. We'll see how the rest of this week goes, and I'll have Alg. 1 on hand in case we need it.

My dd is working on lesson #2 in MUS Algebra 2. She is slowly getting it, but she did not do well on test #1 at all. We had to go back through and find her mistakes.

We are not jumping ship, because I know she would struggle with any other program as well. She has always had trouble with math. So we are taking it slow and working through.....

Glad to hear your student did better on the next lesson. :)

At least we can plug along together, faithandfamily!

We're jumping into Algebra 1 with my second son this year, without doing their previous levels, and it's going pretty well. The things he has struggled with are just tough algebra concepts, which we've spent extra time focusing on.

I'd suggest (when your Alg 1 arrives) going through it and having your student view all the videos for Alg 1. Thus would be a great way to see the way MUS covers the topics, without feeling like you're re-doing Alg 1. I've been loving watching the videos myself, and appreciate the clear way they teach the concepts.

Best wishes! ;)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond