High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Essay Poll

Essay Poll

1. How do you define an essay? When your child writes one, what is it? (how many pages, persuasive or something else, etc.)

2. How often does your high schooler write one?

3. How often do they write the different types of essays (narrative, descriptive, persuasive, etc.)?

4. Does an essay automatically mean they need to research something or can they write all/some of them off the top of their head?

5. When they are not writing essays, what types of writing assignments do they have instead?

Just curious, and trying to generate ideas of where to go next with my 10th grade son. Thanks!

This post was edited on Oct 13, 2017 08:19 PM

re: Essay Poll

1. How do you define an essay? When your child writes one, what is it? (how many pages, persuasive or something else, etc.)

An essay is a relatively short non fiction composition on a subject that tries to describe, analyze, or argue a position.
In early high school, I tend to ask for about 350 words. Some essays have been persuasive. Others are compare/contrast. Some have analyzed a theme in a literature piece.
When my oldest had college freshman orientation, she had to write a 600-800 word essay (over the summer). The idea was that all incoming freshman read the same novel and it becomes thematic discussion in the semester long orientation and success course required of all majors. The first part of the essay was to describe a theme in the novel ,and then second part was to give personal experience on that topic. Novel was coming of age meets major life transition genre. Appropriate for starting college.

The curriculum we used focused on essays in grade 9. I think it was 5 major essays in the year. Grade 10 was research paper focus for semester. So essays were maybe 2 or 3. Grade 11 it was smaller written responses so it was more of them, but not as long of papers. And I don’t remember in grade 12. something with novel reviews?

3. How often do they write the different types of essays (narrative, descriptive, persuasive, etc.)?
didn’t keep count or track like that to look it up and answer.

4. Does an essay automatically mean they need to research something or can they write all/some of them off the top of their head?

Our essays were not research papers. The essay assignment often presumed that student had read the assigned literature. In that sense they had to read something to be able to form an opinion on topic.

5. When they are not writing essays, what types of writing assignments do they have instead?
Short answer paragraphs on exams. Some creative stuff. Various suggestions in writer’s inc. Some personal response stuff.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
An essay is a paper focused on one topic. It is at least 5 paragraphs/300 words or so and includes an opening and closing paragraph.

It varies. I've required one a day at some points, but only for a certain period of time, say a month. The norm ended up being somewhere around 2 a week. Right now, my daughter has chosen to work through The Power In Your Hands so she writes an essay whenever the curriculum instructs her to.

During our intensive essay periods, my daughter has written a different type each day. Other times I've allowed her to choose which type to write. I haven't kept track of how often she writes the various types of essays but am confident that she will get plenty of practice with all of them through her high school years.

They definitely don't need to research something for every essay.

Right now my daughter does whatever assignments TPIYH gives her. She may be instructed to have a brainstorming session, write an outline, correct an essay, etc. Otherwise, we have stuck with written narrations which are usually narrative essays in my daughter's case.

. How do you define an essay? When your child writes one, what is it? (how many pages, persuasive or something else, etc.)

Same definition as Cbollin gave. Essays are 1-2 pages max. My child is new to essay format, so we keep them 300 ish words, and standard 5 paragraphs, occasionally 6.

Mine is supposed to write about one a week to every two weeks She has written four so far this year. (9th grade)

Our curriculum (TPIYH) is on complete overkill on the persuasive essay. Of the first 9 chapters, 6 are on different types of persuasive essays. She wrote 2 of them. Now we are going through the lessons of the 4 specific types and I will have her choose one of the four methods to write her final persuasive essay, before we l love on to narrative, etc.

There is little to no research for an essay. Most are off the top of their head. My child may need to occasionally google a statistic or an interesting quote to include, but otherwise no research.

My child writes on her own, creative writing. Short stories mainly and some poems. I do not grade these, and don't require she share them with me. She also has 3 research papers this year, all having to do with her history. We are doing Ancient history, so at the end of each major period she has a research paper. (Egyptians, Romans, Greeks)

Thanks! These replies are really helpful. So far the answers mostly match what I already thought, so it's nice to know I wasn't way off!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond