High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

BF US Modern & World History reviews please

BF US Modern & World History reviews please

I'm looking for reviews for this guide.

What is everyone using for American history?

re: BF US Modern & World History reviews please

I own the guide and the books.

My guys have picked up quite a few of the books, read them, enjoyed them. They have never cracked the guide open.

My dh really likes the Albert Marrin books, too.

We are pretty laid back so take it for what it's worth. The books are great. I have enjoyed other of the BF guides, so I am assuming this one would be great too.

I haven't used this particular guide but I wanted to mention that my daughter and myself found Albert Marrin's books to be a little too much for us. He shares a lot of the bloody and gory details and he sometimes uses quotations with cursing in them.

My son would have loved his books but my daughter and myself are a bit more sensitive to things like this. Just wanted to share in case that affects your decision.

Thank you ladies.
I guess the guide is still pretty new. I am having trouble finding reviews, but I know many have used it from reading the reviews of some of the books on Amazon. I want to read several of these titles with my son next year and need a guide to help us through it and keep it in order. I’m not sure how my son would respond to the blood and gore, so thank you for bringing it to my attention. I guess I would need to pre-read that one to decide. I would like for him to have a realistic view of the war while in the safety of our home. My dd is extremely sensitive to such, so I would definitely just have her read the facts.
What about "The History of the Twentieth Century" by Martin Gilbert? How often is that used and how well did you like it as a spine?
I was thinking about using “A Patriot’s History of the United States” by Larry Schweikart instead.
Any thoughts on these?
There are free lit guides available for many of these books on the web and I could certainly use those. So do I get the guide or should I piece something together myself?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond