High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Help with Abeka History

Help with Abeka History

Background: My 10th grade DD is extremely bright however she has some health issues that have made traditional school impossible (she's in pain many nights leaving her asleep during the day)... we just pulled her out of public school and are trying to get going on homeschool (I've bought stuff but we haven't gotten started yet).

Here is my problem - because of her weird schedule (some days she's awake but many she's not) I can't work directly with her for a lot of her schooling.

My main concern is Abeka History. I like the info and that the course allowed me to buy tests and quizzes but they aren't laid out in a way that I think she'll do well at studying on her own.
By that I mean... it looks like she could do the chapter reviews, but they wouldn't help her know what to study for the quizzes or tests - they look like a ton of busy work that doesn't prepare you for the next step. Even if I do open book quizzes AND the chapter reviews, she still wouldn't know what to concentrate her study on for the tests.

Is 10th grade too old for me to either make a detailed study guide for the tests or (better yet) highlight in the book what will be on the test since I can't do lecture-style test reviews???? If I do these am I "babying" her?

Last year her health was even worse so I did do detailed test reviews, but I don't want her to get to college and be lost as to how to study and take notes.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

re: Help with Abeka History

You could skip chapter reviews. It's busywork, especially in your circumstances. You can look at the tests and compile a list of what she needs to study for the exams. If she reads and highlights as she goes and or takes good notes, she will have little problems finding those answers to study. Otherwise, open book tests may be an option and closed book for quizzes? Abeka tests are very detailed and are not just covering main topics. Whew. We get it too. So, don't do everything. Tailor it for your child with her needs in mind. This is a survey subject! ☺
Enjoy the learning...
Michelle 32

You're not babying her. You're adapting for her needs and making up for the lack of lectures. The Abeka teachers do provide oral review for the tests. By making a study guide, you'll also be providing review, and she will still learn to study.

Exactly. She would still need to study the test topics you provide. ☺

Thank you all for your help and encouragement! I feel so much better about doing things in a way that works best for our situation.

It's just hard to know how to go about getting her the best education possible, but still working within the limitations of her health and y'all have given me the confidence to do what works for us.

Appreciate your help... Don't know how I would have gotten this far without the insight from this group!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond