High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Priorities- life, school, extras...

Priorities- life, school, extras...

What's your order of importance and how do you prioritize the life, school, and extras? (extracurricular)

re: Priorities- life, school, extras...

I guess I would say that we have put an emphasis on life over school work in the high school years.

They will only have these "care free" years for a short time before adulthood, so we don't like for them to miss opportunities with friends and experiences. We see great value in them having time to form friendships and be involved in their youth group activities.

Good question!

That's a tough question to answer because it is so relative. In our home, life comes first, extras second,and school last. However I am very careful about prioritizing in this fashion.

My reasoning for life coming first is that it just makes sense. Life before school means that when my mother in law needs someone to take her to the doctor, that comes before school. I put extras second because we live in a small town and there isn't much out there for homeschoolers. When we have a chance to spend time with our friends, we usually jump on it. School is last on the list but it is a huge priority in our home and we take it very seriously. We end up spending much more than 180 days schooling each year so it all works out in the end.

:-)

Extracurricular activities last. For example, if my gymnast daughter has a day of school that goes longer than usual, we don't leave for gym until school is finished. She has gym 13 hours a week. She can miss a half hour here and there to complete school work.

As for school and life...life comes first. After having died last year, life will ALWAYS come first. My daughter has depression and has been having some "issues" lately. Top priority is to make sure she is safe and healthy and if she needs to talk or is having a bad day, school comes AFTER. Yesterday was a rough day for her, so we did Algebra and took the rest of the afternoon off to just go out and spend some time together. Same for any other loved ones...if one of our family is sick or in need, we will make sure they are ok before worrying about school, but so far this year we have only missed one day of school, and that was yesterday.

Well, this varies depending on which child. For my oldest in dual enrollment at the university, it's school first, then life, then extra curricular (unless it's a life or death emergency, then obviously life comes before school)

For all my other kids, life first, then school, then extras.

I guess at our house, school comes first, unless there are exceptional life circumstances. If Dad needs the boys on the farm, then, yeah, school takes a back seat, but that is the exception rather than the rule. We finish school by noon, so they have all afternoon for other things anyway. And we don't do very many (if any) extra-curricular things, so that doesn't really apply, but those would be last on my list.

My answer echos Erin's, only right now is a busy season so dad interruptions on the farm are the norm and school is the exception. Can't wait to get my students back!

I wish we lived that fantasy homeschool life where school was done in the early mornings then life happened with lots of time for the extras.

We farm/ranch so life butts it's head into our lives often! I've come to the point that fumbling through life works as long as you never give up.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond