High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Rosetta Stone Questions

Rosetta Stone Questions

My 10th grade DD wants to take German as her foreign language... she has used Rosetta Stone in the past so we thought we'd try that but I have some questions.

#1. Has anyone bought Rosetta Stone off Ebay? How important is it that it has the "activation code"? (even if not off Ebay... can someone explain what the activation code does for you?)

#2. Standard Rosetta Stone CDs vs the Homeschool package? What are the advantages of the Homeschool package over the regular CD pack? I know there are workbooks involved with the hs package but how helpful/necessary are they?

#3. I think we ruled out a subscription to the online version based on the fact that we can pass the CDs down to the next kiddo if needed, but if you have examples of how the online worked better for you please share!

I know this is a lot of questions so thanks for any help you can provide :-)

re: Rosetta Stone Questions

I have very limited info and reserve the right to be wrong.

#1. Has anyone bought Rosetta Stone off Ebay? How important is it that it has the "activation code"? (even if not off Ebay... can someone explain what the activation code does for you?)

A. I have not bought RS from ebay. you never know condition of used discs, etc. As far as I remember, the activation codes unlock "more" of the lessons and open the full program. I think it gets 2 uses and then doesn't work or something.

#2. Standard Rosetta Stone CDs vs the Homeschool package? What are the advantages of the Homeschool package over the regular CD pack? I know there are workbooks involved with the hs package but how helpful/necessary are they?

A. The workbooks are available online as well. Here is a link to German
https://support.rosettastone.com/en/language-learning/articles/Homeschool-Supplemental-Education-Materials-Version-3-German/relatedtopic

However, some homeschool companies did not use or recommend the worksheets as they weren't as helpful to the learning process as they could have been. When I've tried to use them with Spanish, for example, I usually did them as a review after the unit instead of doing them with the unit lesson.

If I recall correctly in the homeschool package, it allowed up to 5 users and had some progress tracking that may or may not have been in the regular version 3. I'm not even sure on that detail anymore.

Also, the software for homeschool has not been updated in years by RS and may not have much tech support anymore. It's possible that some stuff will just not be compatible with machines you have currently.

#3. I think we ruled out a subscription to the online version based on the fact that we can pass the CDs down to the next kiddo if needed, but if you have examples of how the online worked better for you please share!

never used it so I have no input.

hope others chime in with their stories of how it worked in recent years. Or what worked better for German

I tried to sell my Rosetta Stone Spanish last year, and sold it locally because I was afraid there might be problems. The lady who bought it off me needed a new activation code to set it up on her computer. As RS says it's not allowed to be used by anyone but the first purchaser, she did not feel comfortable trying to get a new activation code. So I took the program back. I called RS and got a new activation code for myself, but I can't remember if they actually asked any questions that would have made it difficult for somebody other than the original owner to get a new activation code.

Thanks!! Based on these thoughts I think I would feel more comfortable buying new. I'd hate for the activation code to not work and the point about scratched disks is something I hadn't thought of.

Appreciate your feedback, ladies!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond