High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Re-wording my question: if you do consumer math senior year...

re: Re-wording my question: if you do consumer math senior year...

does that give you a plan to move forward, or does it sound really off base?
----------------

Yes, that is a good plan. I have a lot of options right now. I just realized that we can also take regular public school courses via correspondence, so if I am worried about his math "lining up" with ps kids, then that is always an option - just take the same math they are.

But I can't make any decisions until we finish Alg. 2 this year.

Yes, daily practice will be key. Thanks.

I'm glad you asked this question, because I was also thinking of having my daughter take consumer math her senior year. Mostly because she struggles so much, I can't see her taking pre-calculus. Humm....but now I see many suggesting not to go this route, so now I'm not sure what we will do.

but now I see many suggesting not to go this route, so now I'm not sure what we will do.

Before you change your plans, I wanted to share some thoughts in the big picture.

1. Those of us who didn't list consumer math in grade 12 were thinking about college prep sequence.
Several of us also said that topics in consumer math were part of our personal finance course. In general, having consumer math in grade 12 does not appear as strong of a college prep sequence, but depending on goals and specific colleges and majors it may not matter. Think about goals for post secondary when deciding on math in grade 12.

2. Where I live, the public school sequence does allow for students to repeat and strengthen math in grade 12 without going into pre calc and still graduate. They give it a name that may have little meaning outside of the state. Bridge Math. The idea is to get them more ready for college alg or pre calc during college, not high school. meets the need of 4th credit, etc. It is generally for students who score less than 19 on the math portion of ACT. So there are other classes out there that are not pre calc and not consumer math.

2.5 however in homeschool circles in my area, other math courses can be used to meet our 4th year of math especially for those who are not going into STEM majors or careers right away in life. Some of those titles have included: accounting, logic.

3. big thing here: look at the goals for post graduation. meet those. don't worry about what we do and don't do. :) listen to the stories and find the reasons behind the decision.

PS. I found a syllabus out there on that "bridge math" in my state if it would help anyone think about a course that is not pre calc but more help after alg 2 for college bound.
here
http://www.hardemancountyschools.org/mhs/Null%20-%20Bridge%20Math.pdf

In the syllabus it mentions that the local (to that area) community college has this class too. That college calls it Bridge to College Alg 1 and 2. (2 semesters for full credit)

Thought I'd put that out there as an other option to consider. And in our state and homeschoolers do this too, personal finance is separate class from math sequence.

Thanks so much! Bridge math would be great for her.... I'll do a search whether there is anything similar commonly found on Ohio transcripts.

She is wanting to go to college for nursing. It seems like most reps at the recent college fair were asking about her grades in chemistry, algebra 1 and algebra 2.

We are doing personal finance this year. I was hoping consumer math might be different, but hadn't looked in detail yet.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond