High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Re-wording my question: if you do consumer math senior year...

Re-wording my question: if you do consumer math senior year...

... do you do something to keep up the algebra and geometry skills? So that if they have to write placement tests for CC or something, they remember it all?

My son is about to start Algebra 2 in 10th grade and he should finish it by the end of the year. He will probably not need any higher math than that, but I am going to have him do Consumer Math for sure (useful for all students IMO) and probably something like Jacobs' Mathematics A Human Endeavor.

But that means for all of 11th and 12th grades, he's not doing algebra or geometry. Isn't he going to forget it all?

Is that something I should be concerned about and should I try to keep up those skills?

This post was edited on Sep 25, 2017 07:12 PM

re: Remembering Math

I'm curious about why you think he will not need math higher than Algebra 2. Even if he doesn't *need* pre-calculus, will he benefit from it?

To actually answer your question ;) - If your son will be taking math in college or university, I would be concerned about not continuing to use his algebra skills in 11th and 12th grade. My kids would resist practicing math skills that they already know for two years, so maybe take 11th to do a different math and then review algebra and geometry in 12th?

re: Remembering Math

Well, I'm not totally sure he won't do pre-calculus; I plan on crossing that bridge when we finish alg. 2. But he won't NEED it for the things he's considering doing after high school.

But, as a side note, I did recently realize that trig is not really taught much in MUS geometry so if I want him to learn trig (which I do), he'll have to do at least the first part of pre-calc. So we may end up doing pre-calc anyway, or at least part of it.

Maybe I should re-phrase the question: If you have your child do Consumer Math their senior year, do you keep reviewing the other stuff alongside? Yes, that is what I should have asked.

re: Re-wording my question: if you do consumer math senior year...

I don't think I would have a college bound student take consumer math. We would do personal finance as an elective but college bound students need to stick with college prep math if they are going to keep their skills fresh and be ready for college math classes.

My college bound oldest did not do consumer math as a class. She had a personal finance course.
middle gal: did not do a consumer math either. personal finance. etc. and she did pre calc in 12th. still doesn't know what she wants to do about college/job etc.

youngest: she is my child who will do consumer math in 12th. She is not college bound.

hmm.. alg 2 in grade 10. so...

If it were me? I'd think about how to include a consumer math as a course separate from the decision about college prep sequence. One option in my area is to have grade 11 and/or 12 be math courses at the community college.

Ok... I am realizing that my situation is unique to where I live. You can get into college here even if you only take consumer math in 12th (depending on what course you want to take, of course). Also, the math here in public school is very different than the US sequence, so I'm having to figure out what Algebra 2 is the equivalent of in my province, etc. and that factors in to how far we go with advanced math, too.

So, I guess I'm going to have to figure this one out myself. I should really think about all those things before I post. Duh.

in that case with the math sequences this different, here is thought number 2 to do it as you originally planned (alg 2 in grade 10, consumer math, and not wanting to forget math learned and be out of practice for placement tests)

1. plan for grade 11 and/or 12 to have 2-3 times a week to do review for 15 minutes on those days or thereabouts. it could be on something as simple as khan academy videos and using test prep book. If there aren't test prep materials for the community college placement, just use something ACT and SAT prep sequence. you do it as a quick skill and drill practice and brain warm up.

Make it a focus with supplemental stuff that is intended for test prep and keeping stuff sharp and don't worry that we do it differently. That's what we did with stuff like applied grammar. test day, question of day, workbook.

does that give you a plan to move forward, or does it sound really off base?

BJU Consumer Math includes some algebra review.
Our son really thinks highly of BJU's Consumer Math. He says he's already found himself applying what he learned in the course to everyday life, including in his actual job.

That said, having too much time away from math concepts can cause issues down the road. MathHelp.com has many courses to choose from to help keep math up to date. There are test prep courses and regular math courses. It's pretty reasonably priced and the course lasts a year. If you finish early, you can use the remainder of the time in another course of your choice.
MathHelp doesn't have a text which could be a downside for some.

Daily math practice is key, regardless of what you use.
Michelle32

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond