High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Virtual Homeschool Group

Virtual Homeschool Group

So how does VHG work anyway (and I mean for the Apologia sciences)? Do you watch a video presentation of the lesson and then go do the reading and everything in the text? Just wondering how the lessons are set up. I am looking at the self-paced option, if that matters.

re: Virtual Homeschool Group

Hopefully "fun@home" will see your question since she said she's using it this year.

I've used part of the "at your own pace" courses, and even enrolled in one of the biology ones this year to have some extra visuals for the text. So my answer is based on the AYOP biology since it's most recent memories.

One thing that is nice about it is that you can enroll and play around with it today and then if it isn't going to work, unenroll and open the space back up for others. There is a section with a sample of a lecture if you don't want to enroll at all
https://virtualhomeschoolgroup.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2807239-what-is-a-course-like-

You asked something related to when to read the book. You get to decide when to read the apologia text. For some students it will be before and after.

1. View the Slide presentations (platform is Voice Thread). you get a thumbnail photo of the presenter. Slides are manually advanced by the viewer.
2. use the extras available for note taking if you wish, or take notes as needed. The ones provided (at least in biology) are in connection with each slide.
3. There are also concept maps if that helps. Those tend to clutter my brain. but apparently are a great tool for many people.
4. take your quiz. Quiz questions can be retaken. Module Exam is one and done. To be ready for those, you will need a little bit more than just the slides. Practice your vocabulary in some fashion. (quizlet, make your flashcards, pick your method)

Lectures are divided into main sections of each module. The quizzes have some questions similar to the On Your Own in the apologia text.

Labs: you can upload and have them evaluated by instructor, or you can just use the rubric shown and do it at home.

I'm mostly using it with biology this year to give a little more visual to the modules. I appreciate that with AYOP, I can do modules out of order to meet my syllabus needs for my special ed modified biology course that uses apologia as one resource, but not the only. wink. It's complicated.

Let's hope fun@home has an easier answer for you.

Yes, I just started using this, as of last week. So, I am still learning the ropes with this. My son has finished all of module 1 except for the exam. I'm glad cbollin posted, as she gave me info that I needed to know about that exam! LOL! We are doing the AYOP option.

I do like the presentation. However, the "voicethread" they use for the program does not let you interact in the program when she presents something to do. For example, in lecture 3 she asks the student to put the Kingdom, phyla and etc. in order on screen. This wasn't a problem for us and that part isn't graded anyway. To me, her explanations with the slides are the cool part. The quiz questions are similar and some identical to the workbook for the Biology. I have had ds take notes from the slides and that helped him do the quizzes. Now, the biggie will be that exam!

I did have ds listen to the lab lesson and explanation. So far, it was just classifying and parts of microscope. I decided to just do that part on our own because I didn't know if we would be able to upload a lab page fill in with their program. I did email the teacher and she is hopeful that a new program will be introduced sometime soon. Cbollin may have different mileage, but it seems to be everything that she said too. Hope that helps!

fun@home

This post was edited on Sep 08, 2017 02:41 PM

If you review your vocab and did well on the quizzes (review those too), you'll probably do very well on module exam.
when I said earlier a wee bit more is needed that just watching the slides, I meant do the "on your own questions" from the text (and/or notebook journal), and review vocab.

It was probably over a year ago the last time I tried to upload a lab report via the platform. I don't remember how it went. I remember just preferring to grade those myself via the rubric (for non tech related reasons)

and since I'm using it in different ways, I'll unenroll when done.

Thanks for adding that extra info cbollin! That was helpful.

fun@home

update on what I said about module exam (vs quiz) being one and done. looks like on some of them it's telling me we can have 2 attempts and average those scores or something. interesting.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond