High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Extra Curricular... Art...?

Extra Curricular... Art...?

How about Art?

Did you do it for High School credit?

Can we just do some good hands on projects each week study some history and go to some museums?

re: Extra Curricular... Art...?

We were going to do art this year and um it got bumped off the list again. (hangs head)
Anyhow, we were going to do just that.
Art Projects by See the Light DVDs, visit art exhibits/museums, and Short Lessons in Art History book

Toward the end of your post you describe a course that would be more of a "Introduction to Fine Arts" Or "art appreciation" and done in the style of "build your hours to build your credit". It can be done.
Some people will elect to do this with art, music, theater, dance, or a combo. Various ways from listening to composers and write a bio page on each one. write response to the composition. etc. So yes it can be done.

My oldest did her fine arts requirement with one semester of drawing with Artistic Pursuits high school book 1, and one semester's worth of Discovering Music (Professor Carol Reynolds).

Middle gal did several Fine Arts courses. One credit was in Stage/Show Choir. (and then the other years of that troupe was listed as extracurricular instead of courses). And then her favorite Art course was 3D Drawing with Mark Kistler.
https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/mark-kistler-live
This semester Mr. Mark is doing those on Wednesdays instead of Mondays. But we loved this class. With the amount of time she enjoyed in virtual class each week and then on her own with previous recordings, it was a class. Even opened an opportunity for her to help illustrate a "social story" at the autism center for music instructor to use.

Youngest: her fine art is in piano. any drawing and field trips are just for fun.

ps.
If you're looking for ideas for your unit study, you might find some other plans on Harmony Fine Arts. She has some free and paid resources

http://harmonyfinearts.org/free-downloads/

Hmmm, I remember doing an art class in high school and we did art projects and studied history of art and took museum trips.

So I was thinking it could be called art since that is what we called it when I took it in high school.

But I suppose we could call it introduction to art or art survey or something like that.

When we learned to play the piano there was history involved in the books that taught us and we would call that piano...

Am I missing something?

If you want to call it Art 1 (or anything you want to call it), then do so.

I was giving examples of a range of possibilities of titles based on what is actually done in a course.

I thought was sharing examples where people do similar things to what you described. I guess that you thought I was telling you no???? when I was saying "sounds good to me" and "yes it can be done."

Ok I understand now...lol...

We do art. I don't use a curriculum so we keep track of hours. We learn about a famous artist, write a brief bio, then try to replicate the method or part of a famous piece. For music, we do the brief bio and just listen to various works. My DD15 loves to draw, so I have been letting her draw using youtube videos. It is very loose, but if we get the hours in then I give credit. 60 hours a year for a half credit is my goal. I am only planning on 1 full credit, so my plan (right now anyway) is a half a credit each year for two years. If we make it to the art museum this year, then I will count it toward her hours. Same with a classical musical performance.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond