High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

re: Community Colleges assessment tests

Why don't they just use the ACT or SAT? I do not understand. Is this for students who are homeschooled without one of the above tests?

We don't do those tests here in Canada, Minnie. And this would be for homeschooled students who don't get an official transcript from the province.

After doing more research on this topic, it seems that I have found the following info:

- public school students DO have to write assessment tests depending on the program they are trying to get into (I was wrong about that one)
- the math assessment test looks like mostly pre-algebra with a little beginning algebra. We will easily cover all of that so no need to worry about it.
- there is a separate math assessment for "technology" students and that one has the above plus some quadratic equations and logarithms

I was unable to view the writing and reading assessments, but I am guessing they aren't rocket science either. Feeling better about this now. :)

This post was edited on Sep 06, 2017 02:19 PM

re: re: Community Colleges assessment tests

When I registered my son for a course at our community college, he didn't have to take any placement test based on his ACT scores. The cutoffs were not that high, so providing test score might be helpful. If I remember, they told us the placement tests would take a total of about 2.5 hours. We were glad my son did have to sit through those.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond