High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

re: Community Colleges assessment tests

Community Colleges assessment tests

So, from reading here for a while now, it seems to be a common thing in the US for community colleges to require entrance exams or assessment tests. Do I have that right?

Would anyone be able to share what the tests are like? What do they cover typically?

CC's here in Canada do NOT do these tests for students coming out of public school, but I think this is what we'll be looking at if we apply to them as homeschoolers. We cannot technically provide them an "official" provincial transcript, so they will be making us do assessment tests.

Insight appreciated. :)

In my part of the US, the Accuplacer test is one used (for students who don't have ACT or SAT within last 5 years). It's one of the most commonly used as far as I know. (there used to be something called Compass test, but that was phased out ?)

More info in it
https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/student/inside-the-test

and this link shows how one CC sees the equivalent scores and which course it would be someone.
http://www.tn.edu/testing/accuplacer-scores.htm

same school for math will allow some of the ALEKS tests for specific math placement

Here in South Florida the PERT seems to be the norm. I have no idea what those letters stand for or even if I'm spelling it correctly!

From my understanding, the PERT is for those who have been out of school for a while, or those who have not taken the SAT or ACT, or who didn't score highly on those tests.

Erin

If you want to see the PERT that florida uses, this is helpful
http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/5592/urlt/0078248-pert-studentstudyguide.pdf

I hadn't heard of that one until melanie32 mentioned it.

Thanks for those. Actually, after googling around a little, I did find some info on the specific tests for this CC, so that helped, too, except I could only really see the math one.

In addition to math, they cover reading comprehension, sentence structure, grammar, and there is a short essay to write.

One thing to remember, it's not that you need to score high enough in order to get into CC. It's to place the student at the right level. Some students might need refresher courses in one of the areas, before being able to work at a college level. And some might test out of some of the basic courses.

HTH

In Illinois, our cc's test math and English skills to place one in the appropriate levels of those classes. When I entered community college 20 years ago I tested high enough that I didn't need to take any math or English classes, but still was given credit for them.

When I entered college 2 years ago I placed into college Algebra and college level English. I was mad because I didn't feel I needed to take those classes. They told me the policy at this college was that EVERY new student MUST take at least one math and one English class, so all the tests did were show that I didn't need remedial placement.

These were two different colleges, twenty plus years apart.

South Florida here - the college (used to be a community college) used PERT and the university used accuplacer

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond