High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Mixed feelings on the year ahead

Mixed feelings on the year ahead

So, this is our last year. I've mentioned before that, with our second child, the homeschooling journey feels more like a train wreck than a success. I know that's not true, but there are times when that's all I can see.

Within the last week all my best laid plans for dd's last year completely unraveled. I don't feel like moving forward at all, now. I'd planned on her finishing her high school years with a focus on preparing for life and a non-college career path (because she told me she doesn't WANT to go to college - and she doesn't have the aptitude for it IMO). Now she wants to scramble and prepare for the college entrance exam for the community college and take academic classes in the Spring. Ha! She is nowhere near ready for this. We had planned together that she would participate in a fantastic electives program for homeschoolers about an hour from our home. It was paid in full and she was to start in a week. For multiple reasons (huge medical bills over summer), we realized this was going to put too much strain on our finances and our 20 year old vehicle. Dd said she was fine with this because she had really wanted to go to the local Christian school for electives again but thought I wanted the other choice. So now she's going back to the Christian school for electives, we're getting a refund on the other option, and I'll be driving her 5 days per week to the school for one hour of classes. Stink weed.

re: Mixed feelings on the year ahead

Well, you know what God does: give Him a paltry handful of fish and barley bread and suddenly there's a feast for 1000's! He can make your year a blessing and a treasure. :))))

Re: your daughter's readiness for college, I don't know about your community colleges, but around here, they go to any effort to help incoming students, even those with academic deficiencies. I tend to think most cc's across the country are like that. Maybe you could visit or give them a call. It might be more hopeful than you are worried about at present. :)

What do you mean by entrance exam? If it is a community college, most just have placement tests for math and English. At least that's the way it has always been in my experience. Community colleges are great at working with students of any age and any aptitude. I agree with pp; give them a call, and set up an appointment to go with your daughter and meet with them. I'm sure they will be willing to work with you, and all is not lost. That's great that she wants to go, and she can try one or two classes this spring for dual credit and not take in a full course load. I would continue as you have planned and just talk to the cc.

It will be ok. I often feel like we are a train wreck too! I would say just follow through with your current plan. Enjoy this last year of homeschooling, and enjoy also the 5 days a week drive to the elective classes closer to you. Before long she wont be in your car so much needing rides from you. Maybe if time or money allows on your way home on Fridays you can stop for lunch, or a donut or a walk at a park, just something to enjoy. I wouldn't worry about January, you can decide on that later, but you already know she isn't ready, you don't have to discuss it, it will become clear as time goes on.

Sorry for the upset in your plans. It will be fine!

Thank you so much, ladies. You are right. Our CC is very supportive of all aptitudes. Our ds is excelling there in his 2nd year and I remember at the orientation last Fall with him I was quite impressed with the staff.

DD wants to take American Sign Language I, which is fine except they require a research paper and she has never written anything other than short essays on things like "why she likes horses" or her favorite Star Wars character. So even if she scores high enough on the placement test (not entrance exam - sorry) I feel like she'd be jumping off on the deep end. And maybe that's ok?

It is ok!

And she will learn how to write that paper if she wants it bad enough.

And if she just can't do that level of work right now she might have to keep trying, which is a good lesson on perseverance.

except they require a research paper and she has never written anything other than short essays on things like "why she likes horses" or her favorite Star Wars character.

^^^

Can you work on writing one with her within the next month or so? Write one **with** her (all the steps), and then have her write one on her own. Say, Sept/Oct for the one you do together, and then finishing the one on her own before Christmas break? That seems like it would put your mind at ease at least as regards the research paper.

DD wants to take American Sign Language I, which is fine except they require a research paper and she has never written anything other than short essays on things like "why she likes horses" or her favorite Star Wars character. So even if she scores high enough on the placement test (not entrance exam - sorry) I feel like she'd be jumping off on the deep end. And maybe that's ok?
Agreeing with the others about "entrance exams". They check to see where the student is so they know where to start them.

Check (you should be able to do it online) to see if the above class has pre-requisites. Let your dd be involved. She needs to see where she is and what's expected of her. In other words, it's time for HER to own her education. It will mean much more to her. If she's expected to write a research paper in the class, there's most likely an English requirement (and possibly a reading requirement) before taking the class. This will let her and the school know if she's ready for the class or not.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond