High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Organization and scheduling

re: Organization and scheduling

This is how it worked out in our house. mileage will vary. blah blah blah....

Q. So, by the time your kids graduate, what are your expectations regarding organizing (and scheduling) their own stuff?

A. Organizing Stuff: I gave up and failed with oldest who has brain organizing issues. Middle kid: goal was that her stuff wasn’t an interference in our daily lives. So in some ways, I’m a failure at this stuff in homeschooling and I still graduated them.

Scheduling their own stuff: I taught oldest enough that she needs to learn to read the course schedule at her college to register for stuff, and allow for a lunch hour, and learn to sleep. Well, again with her defaults and disabilities, the sleep is a joke. And the courses schedule themselves in her major by this point in it all. One section of each class. Sign up.

Q. This year, we are going to work on study skills, test taking and following a syllabus. Where should we go from there?

A. we google the lyrics for Alan Parsons Project song that starts with that phrase "where do we go from here...."? Grin. sorry. LOL.

Well ok, maybe not. But I’d work on giving them the tools needed to know what it takes to have a clean dorm room for check out procedures. If child struggles with meeting your standard on it, then make pictures with your list. Here is one college's example to help their students meet expectations or get fined at end of year.
https://www.cbu.edu/assets/2091/cleaning_tipsspring2017.pdf

and this is the picture version for students to see the guidelines
https://www.cbu.edu/assets/2091/christian_brothers_university_cleanliness_guide_spring_2017.pdf

Most colleges don’t have room checks until move out time. But still. You talk about organizing. I say get them to the ability to organize a room to standard with a check list. Nothing wrong with visual helps for it even in college.

Q. Should he be able to take a week's worth of work and schedule it out himself in a planner and make his own daily plans?

A. I just bought pre made lesson planners for our homeschool years. (as in the stuff that mfw sells).
In college, she uses the ones the professors make. I guess with my youngest is the first time as a homeschool teacher that I haven’t had pre made lesson planners to follow, so we just do the next thing in a book. I mark at end of school day what we got done. But no, I didn’t teach the college bound children how to plan a workload on their own for a fully independent self study course. Even with things like get the research paper done, we used tools that showed us the break down of steps and when to get those deadlines, and some of that was built into the purchased lesson plans (mfw) that we used.

By reading your questions, and seeing what we didn’t do, I’m amazed that my oldest is doing as well in college as she is.

Q. I should probably make some deadlines for him so he practices pacing himself and handing things on on time. Anything else?

A. well, my middle gal seems to be learning some stuff from this online resource
http://www.lbcc.edu/LAR/studyskills.cfm

you might like this group of resources from Dartmouth
https://students.dartmouth.edu/academic-skills/learning-resources/time-management

Q.But I guess, in college, you either follow a syllabus, or your instructor gives you specific assignments or homework to do... am I right? So then it seems like being able to meet deadlines and pace yourself would be the most valuable skills. Yes/no?

A. That’s been my experience in my own life and in my college student.

oh ps.

on the dartmouth link I shared, also look on the side menu for the "learning strategies tips"
https://students.dartmouth.edu/academic-skills/learning-resources/learning-strategies

Although all of that is geared for college (and some of it at that specific one), much of it will be helpful at high school age for "by the end of graduation".

same thing with the long beach city college course I linked.

By reading your questions, and seeing what we didn’t do, I’m amazed that my oldest is doing as well in college as she is.
------------------------

LOL, well, that's why I asked! I didn't know if I was overthinking it, and I think I was. Thanks.

nah. not over thinking. You have good questions. I'm just showing that even when we don't get it all done you might still have done enough to be ready, and they'll learn more stuff in college /work life.

I'm hoping the links to study skills and time management give you and your students some tools to figure some of this out. I sometimes wish I had done "more" with my oldest and middle on this stuff. But I kinda handed them the publisher's lesson grid and say "get er done and I'm checking on your progress at such and such time today and by 4 pm Friday"

of course with middle I was still doing a lot of hand holding in grade 9 and 10. and now? in gap year? she's on track with her syllabus in an edX course (self study before clep prep for a humanities thing)
Oldest. ugh... did I mention I gave up? thud.

That is interesting, Melanie32. I would LIKE to think that giving him a check list is enough and he'll be fine, but I didn't know if that was realistic enough, which is why I asked.

But I guess, in college, you either follow a syllabus, or your instructor gives you specific assignments or homework to do... am I right? So then it seems like being able to meet deadlines and pace yourself would be the most valuable skills. Yes/no?
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Yes, I think that learning to follow a syllabus, meet deadlines, and pace oneself are valuable skills. However, I don't think it's necessary that a student have tons of practice at these things before college. Most kids don't. Just like essay writing, writing research papers, learning to use a textbook, etc., I don't feel that we need to spend tons of time on these skills. I think young adults can learn them much faster than we think they can. I plan on having my daughter take some college courses during high school and she will start with one and learn how to do these things with me there to guide her and without the added pressure of having to do them for multiple classes.

If I weren't planning on my daughter learning these skills in this manner, I would probably hold off until her senior year and practice them at that point. Even then, I don't think she would need to spend a ton of time on them-just be exposed to the them.

I guess I'm not saying that we shouldn't teach these skills. I'm only saying that I don't think we need to feel pressure to have our kids work completely independently in high school. It works for some families. It doesn't for others. We should each do what is best for our family and for our particular student.

While, I know my daughter is more than capable of working completely independently, it isn't a goal I have for her right now. She does much independently but we both enjoy being involved in the learning process together. I treasure homeschooling her and want to make the most of these last 3 years we have to go. We have wonderful times, learning and growing together, and I wouldn't trade that for any thing!

Thanks for all the help with this. Definitely some good food for thought, and it turns out that I am closer to the goal than I thought I was.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond