High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Grading

re: Grading

I decided to go with:

75% tests/quizzes
25% daily work

Depending on the subject, some of the daily work is graded as is and recorded, and some of the daily work is automatically 100% if they complete it and fix mistakes.

The classes that don't have written work are graded by keeping a time log.

75/25 is what I settled on too. And I am doing the same thing about correcting (We correct all work each day so I am not having to keep track of every day's work), with that they have a 100 percent on homework unless I feel they have been having a bad attitude or if they have been dragging their feet, I will then knock off some points from homework based on their tone and their average effort too.

This has been very helpful thanks!

unless I feel they have been having a bad attitude or if they have been dragging their feet, I will then knock off some points from homework based on their tone and their average effort too.

I'd like to offer a different perspective. (Obviously, people do what they need to and fits their religion and philosophy of education. Not my business. You do what you want.)

In terms of dragging their feet, if they make the deadline for the assignment, I personally don't take off points. However, if they miss a syllabus deadline, points are taken off. But being slow to start? nah. There are valid reasons that one can wait to start homework or a project so I don't turn it into a "character" failure.
If dragging feet shows in the quality of product, then I do take that "effort" into consideration of grade, and if they miss the 4 pm Friday deadline, points off.

I also see it as a time to learn about time management and executive function skills for breaking down assignments into doable sections. It's a time of transition from me being the leader of the day to them being leader of their day.

In terms of "attitude", I don't add or subtract grade on that. It sets up a crazy battlefield that doesn't need to happen. I've seen it go the opposite direction of desired result in several families I know. I know some brick and mortar high schools do use demerit systems (attitude stuff) so it's not "wrong" if homeschooler does use that tool. I'm just saying not every teen is motivated to desired result by points off for it. So if it is wrong tool, don't use it. and if it is a good motivator in your child, Set the Rules in the Syllabus before you issue the first assignment. Yes, that may mean the first day of classes, you hand out syllabus with expectations and go over it with them. Let the teen know you will be graded on this. And this is how you get an A and this is when it is B level.

Again, effort is not same thing as attitude.

Just my personal opinion when taking those things into consideration for grade in a class. Hopefully some of that experience helps someone as they decide the best way to do stuff in their own family.

Great points. Thanks for typing that all out.

I think of a final grade as a representation of how much of the course's content the student has mastered. Because it's easy to cram for a final exam and make it look like you've "mastered" the material, I think it's important to include grades from throughout the year, but not necessarily from every single daily assignment.

I don't grade daily work in subjects like math, but do give grades for review sheets, writing assignments, projects, presentations, quizzes, tests, and exams, so I feel like I always have at least a few different types of assessments for each course.

I don't deduct grades for attitude or effort, because that doesn't really tell anyone how well they know physics, kwim?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond