High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Grading

Grading

I have no peace with grading.

I have never liked the scoring on tests only because I want to give credit for daily work (because I believe that instills a good work ethic).

We also have always gone for mastery. Because I think we learn from our mistakes better than anything.)

So when the work is found to be done wrong in daily work and tests they have to find the right answer.

I have all sorts of grades in my book but want to find a fair way to give the final grades.

I can't decide how much weight to give to daily work and even this what might be called extra credit work when they make corrections.

Any thoughts?

I think generally I am seeing A effort but sometimes B understanding, I try weighing different ways and can come up with either grade (like for math or science) my biggest concern is want to be fair, not just to my child but also to the college that my consider them, I don't want my grades to be fluffy or meaningless.

re: Grading

If your child is re-doing missed homework problems until he gets it correct then it's 100%. He put in the effort and therefore should get the grade. It's up to you to decide how to weigh those final grades. You can always put that information on the course description, so TPTB have a reference as to how you got those grades if they care to look at course descriptions.
Honestly, I don't think it will matter in the end. I think the SAT, ACT, or entrance exam will alert colleges to what your student can do.
JMO

I never count daily work in a final grade. The only work I count is tests, quizzes, and any written work, be it answering questions at the end of a chapter or map work or an essay or report.

I WILL sometimes use a general overall knowledge of how they did in daily work to weight a grade. For example, if my daughter gets a 91 in math based on all tests, but she did A work on all her daily assignments, I might nudge her final grade up to an A. But if she consistently only did C work on daily assignments, I will leave her grade as a solid B. I always have her go back and fix any mistakes in daily work, but she definitely does not deserve a 100% just because she did the work. To me, the daily work is just practice.

For writing, her grade is based pretty much solely on her final products...essays, poems, research reports, etc

quick answer: take a look at how NARHS has some options for Goal Based Grading, and the one for "self designed grading tool"
http://www.narhs.org/Downloads

Also, you might take some research time and look up syllabus online for various high school classes. I use those as way to look at "daily work" as part of overall grade.

agreeing with morning song's post about regrading stuff as part of learning process and other stuff said. The link to the downloads I listed are showing a whole bunch of ways to think about how to give grades. NARHS is accredited and accepts lots of variety in it, so as homeschoolers, we probably can have some confidence from those variations. (ps: if anyone else has replied since then, I haven't read their answer...

Also, in my oldest dd's classes (STEM stuff anyway), they do get to have some second chances on test/homeworks with missed problems counting half points or something. uhmm. brain is tired, but let's say problem #5 was going to be 20 points. They got 15 out of the 20. re do the problem in the time limit given that week, and get it fully right, they'd have 2.5 points added on (so the problem is graded at 17.5 ish) hope that make sense. Not sure that applies in humanities though. or if it's just something at her engineering college where they want them to learn the material.

This post was edited on Aug 19, 2017 11:46 AM

oh.. found this interesting for grading in PE. wasn't sure if it belonged on here, or on the GPA pass/fail thread. I might post it on both.

I had a moment to click around for syllabii out there.

regarding PE grade: one syllabus said: A student receives all 10 daily points when they get to class on time, correctly suited, and participate at a high level in a respectful fashion. Each student will also earn a portion of their grade through improvements made in daily fitness activities

or another one had this fancy rubric, but it boiled down to Each day is worth 10 points. Students are graded on participation/dress, effort, punctuality, and attitude. If all of these expectations are met for that day, 10 points will be awarded. Students must dress appropriately for PE and participate actively and to the best of their ability for the entire class in order to receive full credit. No penalty points for excused absences.

If you want to see details of that rubric, this is the link google found for me. In other words, if coach has someone who just will not follow the rules, he has a way to give fewer than 10 points a day. Honestly, with our homeschool kids, I think if they show up, and aren't being jerks, they get the full credit in our homeschool PE. kwim? In other words, don't get legalistic on this out of fear a college will think less of your student if they have an A in PE.

http://colliervillehs.colliervilleschools.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=452179&type=u&pREC_ID=654971

Very interesting, thanks for the help and insight, the website is great I am going to use several of their forms to get me organized better with my record keeping.

NHRHS website was so helpful!

Thanks again!!!!

I understand. We used to tally in daily work, but it was so much to average. We switched to quiz and test grading only and give each the same "weight". Writing is based on format, content, grammar, mechanics, and whether the assignment purpose was fulfilled (persuasion, expository, etc...)

For subjects like fine arts, P.E., Bible Study, those are the subjects that we find are easy to assess using benchmarks. (practice time, reading time, portfolio, and so on...TIME ON TASK is really key in these areas for growth. :)

Bottom line, do what works for your family.

HTH,
Michelle32

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond