High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

MUS SAT/ACT question

MUS SAT/ACT question

I'm considering switching my dd over to MUS for PreAlgebra and up... except I have heard several say that MUS didn't prepare their student for these types of tests. Poor scores, bright kids. Anyone here regret using it? Advice?

re: MUS SAT/ACT question

We used MUS all the way through 1st-12th.

Looking back, I often wonder if my kids would have benefited more with a spiral, rather than a mastery approach. However that was in the younger years. By the time they hit Pre-Algebra, I do not have regrets using MUS.

My son used Pre-Algebra through Calculus. He got a 28 on the math portion of the ACT. It was not his highest subject score. He did better in English.

But, I tend to wonder if this is just due to personal strengths rather than publisher used. I'm not sure how one could ever really know for sure.

I just know 28 was his score, but I know my daughter will not get that high. Yet they both used MUS. I guess, just use what the student prefers, and you are most comfortable with.

Hope that helps :)

Everything I've heard on this topic points to the fact that kids who are good at math will do well on the Math portions of the SAT/ACT and those who aren't mathy won't do as well, regardless of curriculum.

I've heard of kids doing poorly after having completed MUS, Teaching Textbooks, Saxon, etc. I've heard of kids doing wonderfully after having used these exact same curricula.

Of course some curricula are not meant to prepare students for college and I'm not speaking of those. Things like the Key to series for example, are not meant to be full curriculum for a college bound student.

I think it's super important to have kids prep for both the SAT and the ACT if high scores are important for their future plans. Khan academy offers free test prep for the SAT.

I have only used MUS for Geometry, but I was not impressed. I used it for my child that absolutely hated math and was non college bound, and I STILL probably wouldn't use it again. As she was non college bound, she didn't take the ACT,but...I don't even know how it was considered a credit. We used the DVD s and books and it amounted to about 15-20 minutes a day of work, including DVD time.

I know a lot of folks love MUS and their children do fine with it, but their Geometry, at least, didn't impress me at all.

Yes, we regretted it. DD had to study using Khan Academy to prepare for her final attempt at the ACT. Khan was well worth it, but she spent weeks if not months working with them. Anything she had covered in MUS's Algebra 2 was only Algebra 1 with Khan.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I have a lot to think about.

Bec, we tried MUS PreAlgebra at the end of last year and sold it after 8 weeks since the lessons only took her 5 minutes a day! Coming from TT7, it was new material. I was concerned that she wouldn't have any retention doing math for such a short time per day. The word problems were so easy and sometimes seemed quite contrived in a silly way to fit the concept being taught.

My dd is very good at math, but really detests it! We have used TT and LOF for the past several years. I don't want to continue with TT mainly due to costs. The program is crazy expensive and the laptop we used to run the CD's finally gave up the ghost. My dd also is frustrated with the amount of review. Maybe a LOF with Khan academy when she gets stuck would work... Ugh. Math. 😉

I'm following this with interest. We had always planned to use Saxon for highschool, but I was thinking of making the switch to MUS. Even though it might be easy, I also don't want to spend insane amounts of time on Saxon each day. We were planning on doing an MUS/LOF combo. Is there a math program that is sort of in-between Saxon and MUS?????

I had been going to do Saxon for high school with my 9th grader, but for many reasons I chose ACE instead. We haven't started it yet, so I can not say how it will go,but it has good reviews and is independent. From looking through it, it looks like a good combination between Saxon and MUS.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond