High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

re: ACT Career Readiness Certificate

ACT Career Readiness Certificate

http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/workkeys-for-educators/ncrc.html

Have any of your scholars taken the ACT Career Readiness Certificate? If so, what, if anything, did you use for test preparation? Did you think it was worthwhile? I see that if you pass at a certain level ACE recommends up to 4 college credits. Any input is appreciated.

I can join the conversation, but know very little on it.

It seems to be one of those things you might list on a resume if you were in a trade school, or career diploma in high school vs "college prep" path. Is it worth it? I'm not sure. I know a lot of the things in the "work keys" curriculum is stuff I'd want my youngest to learn directly. and have thought of this for some of her high school. So I'm there yet. She is "occupational diploma" path (with maybe special ed)

one document I've glanced at had this to say : "It is more useful to think of the CRC as a complementary credential to the high school diploma. It is especially beneficial when it is used as an exit credential for Career & Technical Education students"

so that does have me wanting to find out more about the WorkKeys curriculum and can it be done as homeschooler... But I got distracted from finding out more. So I'm listening to anyone who has done this route and taken the test. I had forgotten I got that far in learning about it as part of what to do with youngest and career training with special ed. I should get back to that now. She's going into 10th.

the college credit thing:

I'm seeing that ACE recommends up to 3 credits in applied critical thinking.

That translates into 100 level "elective". for profits (u of phoenix) accepts it. I would not pursue it for 4 year university as "college credit". (edit: it might be pursued for those going to 4 year universities for other reasons, but not for the 100 level elective credit)

" earning an NCRC enables an individual to demonstrate essential foundational competencies across three critical skill areas linked by ACT research to workplace success: reading comprehension, applied mathematics, and locating information."

This post was edited on Jul 13, 2017 10:43 AM

Like I said, I'm looking into it for my special ed/occupational path scholar.

This is from a handbook.
http://nationaloccorg.siteprotect.net/CRC-handbook.htm

MYTH #4
The CRC is only for welfare recipients and others who are out of work.

TRUTH
While the CRC is an excellent tool for assisting people who are looking for work, it is also of great benefit:
a) As an exit credential for graduates of Career & Technical Education programs;
b) To assess dislocated workers BEFORE the lay-off occurs;
c) In working with the incarcerated and at-risk youth;
d) To older workers who may not have an academic credential;
e) To college students;
f) As an advancement/promotion tool for incumbent workers within companies;
g) As a pre-screening employment tool for businesses.

It cannot be stressed too often that the CRC is a powerful tool that raises the self-esteem (and consequently the probability of being hired) of:
i) dislocated and/or older workers who may or may not have a complementary academic credential;
ii) the incarcerated who have often been told that they have no skills;
iii) high school students who have been labeled as “dumb” because their talents lie in occupational pathways

The CRC must also be recognized as a support for high school diplomas and college degrees. While the academic credential shows what a person KNOWS, the CRC certifies what a person can DO.

So, I just watched the first "training" video that ACT site has on this stuff. It was an overview on the Work Keys and NCRC certificate. What it does and does not do.

I don't know how often that training is offered. It was a free webinar that just happened to have been offered today and I saw that after my second post. wow. how weird was that. if you can watch it, it is informative and the speaker was easy to follow. quick 45 minute overview. free to watch. I had no tech issues.

Ok, from the limited 45 minute webinar, I have a little bit more to add. There are some employers who will use this NCRC as a screening tool for employment. The test is designed to cover the majority of skills (not knowledge) to be able to do about 85% of jobs in the US. It is not for manual labor, nor for jobs requiring advanced knowledge (like engineering, rocket science)

There are levels of how well you did. About 21% of test takers will achieve "gold" level. 55% at silver. 23 at bronze. Below bronze level ? did not pass. You are given the level of the lowest section. It is not averaged. That way an employer who sees Bronze, will then look on back and see if that means you are low in skill on math, or low in skill on reading graphs, or low in skill on reading workplace documents, or other.

The webinar presenter pointed out that some high school district wanted to have a plan in place that their students would exceed those percentages and have a high percentage at Gold level. But in general, that would be from prep work, but that it didn't mean it was to be seen as an easy test.

They have correlation charts for helping to match occupations to your skill level. Again, it's about what you can do, vs what you have in knowledge bank. That is nice. It may be on website somewhere without taking the test?

ACT seems to be suggesting that this certification could be helpful in some cases for those with bachelors degree if an employer perceives that college graduates know stuff but can't do stuff. And is definitely for those with associates, certificates, employer based training, industry certifications.

hope something in there helps a little. I have no experience with it. Only "knowledge".

I laughed at one point and felt a little snarky. One of the things tested is something like can you read a graph, or know how to read the markings on a container with fluid. I thought "wow.. so they are basically testing if you did real high school lab work or just watched a video". snarky of me.

oh, the other take away? basically, it comes down to the reality that having finished grade 12 does not necessarily mean anything to employer if you can DO stuff. and this test is to show that you can do or at least learn to do.

Thanks for the extra research. I'll try to watch the webinar.
I'm not a big believer in testing in general, but in this data driven environment, they are required in so many circumstances. Both my husband and I have had to pass certain exams for our jobs. I think this might be a good test for one of my high school scholars. He has a bit test anxiety and this one seems to have more practical questions. If he can do well on this one, it might help his performance on ACT or SAT later. Not that they cover the same material, just the practice of testing procedures in general and the confidence that he might gain.

From the ACE website:
Credit Recommendation: Credit is awarded based on the examinees level of achievement: bronze performance - no credit; silver performance - in the vocational certificate category, 3 semester hours in quantitative reasoning and 1 semester hour in information literacy for a total of 4 semester hours. For gold and platinum level of performance - in the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in quantitative reasoning and 1 semester hour in information literacy for a total of 4 semester hours

I don't know how those might apply at specific colleges, but it might count for elective.

This post was edited on Jul 14, 2017 07:48 AM

I'd still love to hear from anyone who actually took the test.

This post was edited on Jul 14, 2017 07:34 AM

re: re: ACT Career Readiness Certificate

For gold and platinum level of performance - in the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in quantitative reasoning and 1 semester hour in information literacy for a total of 4 semester hours

I don't know how those might apply at specific colleges, but it might count for elective.

agreeing. If there is someone on this forum who has taken the test it would be nice to hear about it from them. What employer wanted it? that kind of thing.

In spite of that, I'd like to still talk a bit.

to the quote stuff above: thanks for finding the 4th credit. that wasn't showing up in my searches yesterday (I tried around on the ACE site and gave up to watch the webinar). From that info, I half expected to see Thomas Edison accepting this test toward something like their gen ed course SOS-110 Living in the Information Age.

I'm not an expert on Thomas Edison and their search engine doesn't always show me what I want. But I'm not seeing they accept this test for credit. Doesn't mean they don't. My purpose is sharing was to show the type of course that the credits might be applied to. It might meet a gen ed "information literacy" requirement, but if you transfer, will it? Too many factors. But if that's the kind of credit ACE is recommending, then don't yet go into this test with the college credit transfer in mind. Go for other reasons. They are other tests that can give this similar level of course credit and have more portability for college. In my research, this NCRC is more for job market needs.

This is similar to how one college might take CLEP college math for credit to meet one gen ed math, but another college will not use that one at all.

In terms of the other goal you mentioned about test taking procedures, etc... well, the way I helped my children for that was to do ACT practice tests under the closest test conditions that I could, and we did the PSAT. I knew neither of my kids were national merit worthy, so the PSAT taken in group situation was dry run for confidence. It costs less than this employment certificate thing. Those may also be something in your tool box already and didn't work. I just wanted to mention them.

Like you said, you're hoping to hear from those who have taken the test and participate on this forum.

(update:
I asked around locally since my state uses this test in the workforce. I haven't heard anyone in the homeschool community yet talk about it. A few people with the public schools have said the test is usually given in or near end of grade 12 for those who have been focused on "career and trade" instead of prep for community college or 4 year.

You may need to ask around for experiences within the public school system (teachers or admins, or students) for more information.

This post was edited on Jul 18, 2017 11:30 AM

re: re: ACT Career Readiness Certificate

(edit to add this link for prep work
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/Preparing_for_the_WorkKeys_Assessments_209367_7.pdf

my tag on questions :

And if there is anyone on here who has done this, I would appreciate hearing opinion on when is the best time to take this test in terms of a high school student and being ready to actively look for employment?

I'm looking for opinion on
1. if it is too soon in high school life, then they may not really know yet about the "soft skills "(fit and talent) sections. Those are the basic career and interest survey questions which give suggestions of better or poor fit of potential occupations.

2. and if too soon, and gets bronze level, did they feel discouraged that they weren't ready for adult jobs?

3. did they end up repeating this test later in life (after gaining life experience and such)

and also looking for input if you went into the test with just basic practice tests/question, or if you used the work keys curriculum, or if you had supplements with things like Reading for Work, Math in work place...

thanks

This post was edited on Jul 15, 2017 08:07 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond