High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Physical Science for 9th grade?

Physical Science for 9th grade?

We're Apologia lovers here... both of my graduates did great with it, and I love it, too. But it is HARD for my youngest dd going into 9th. I'm looking for another option for her, OR a way to use Apologia in a more natural and efficient (effective, for her) way. She is not college bound.

I'm open to any ideas!

re: Physical Science for 9th grade?

Would the DVD version be helpful for her? (There are about 90 or so left at rainbow.... and when those are gone, it will be up to the used market, right? as it's discontinued)

other ideas: oops.. have to log out with storm...

yeah, didn't lose power. anyway. I can share how it went with my youngest last year. She has various challenges in academics with special needs diagnosis. I wanted to try to use physical, but gave that up fast. I had physics101 dvd sitting around. We used that for a semester of physical science. It was nice for that.

And for the the other semester, we did an Earth Science semester.
about half of the semester we used Weather Book and parts of Astronomy book from master books. And maybe some of the ocean book???

the other half of earth science topics things like volcanoes, rocks, geology, I started off with Earth Science over on schoolhouseteachers.com, but that didn't go the way I wanted. So I looked online and built enough to have a few weeks of geology based on selected chapters from
http://www.phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?area=view&wcprefix=cuk&wcsuffix=9999
and this school's syllabus
https://www.fusd1.org/Page/4002

I basically did a pick and choose what to do and had some fun labs with it.

It was very eclectic. the master books stuff was hit/miss with us. Weather book was fine: you read, fill in worksheet direct from reading. study those sheets for quiz, quizzes to the bigger test.

I didn't really like the astronomy book though. I got frustrated that they say Jupiter is an inner planet. I got frustrated that is was hyper focused on proving arguments of creation that it forgot to teach basics.

So overall, we used the topics that were apologia physical to make our own year credit. One semester on "basics of physics/chem" and the other semester on earth science/weather/some geology stuff. a very mishmashed approach if I do say so myself. some secular text. some christian materials.

My dd struggles with reading fiction. I am going to TRY To push her through for a few months reading and outlining the Apologia Physical book the regular way...

BUT, they do have an audio version which I will consider if she's really struggling...

would that help your dd?

I'm not sure the audio would work. *Maybe* if she has the text in front of her to read along, or if I'm there listening with her. She does listen to some fiction on audio (although not a lot), but I'm not sure how listening to fact-based material would go. Maybe it would depend on the reader.

If I can find a sample download of the DVD that Crystal mentioned to check it out, I might try that. I like the way that ErinD suggested using Apologia over on the Discussion page.

Crystal, I kinda' like the idea of mixing it up like that, too! I'll think on that. I haven't bought and seen the Physics 101 course yet, but my oldest did Chem 101, and I was planning to use that with youngest, as well. We watched the Bio 101 DVDs early this past year just as a way to "do" science for a little while as we began the year with my two extra students. Great visuals, but I like the Chem course a little better, so hopefully the Physics course is good, too? (For non-college bound, I mean.)

I wonder if we could do Chem 101 one semester, and then Physics 101 the second semester and call THAT our year of Physical Science.... ??

(And I agree with you on the Master Books books. I'd bought a couple of them for my dd to do on her own, because they *looked* very enjoyable, but the read-and-answer questions format made it kinda' blah. Plus, I want to know -- from science -- WHY we believe what we do about science, not just from a philosophical standpoint. Dr. Wile does a *fabulous* job with that.)

I wonder if we could do Chem 101 one semester, and then Physics 101 the second semester and call THAT our year of Physical Science.... ??

sure. :)

I liked the physics101 dvd last year. I wouldn't call it physics, but intro level physical sciences . sure. physics course in high school really implies some math, kwim?

my youngest is watching chem101 dvd currently. so far? I'm feeling like one of your other dd mentioned a few years back "can we do some real chemistry now?" Yes, it's neat to learn the biographies and some history of famous dudes. but you know..

I actually liked friendly chemistry. have you seen that one? I was surprised how much I liked that. We let youngest have charts out and work with her. And a little help on the algebra side of it. But it was just really neat to use their teaching method. We don't do the games. It was one schoolhouseteachers. com so I had access to the first 12 lessons. loved it so much I got the books. The chapters are short. easy to follow conversation style of teaching. step by step how to do the example. problem sets are not overwhelming. just enough to practice to get good.

oh, the dvd? it's for computer use only. samples are apparently "private" on youtube. oh the pain of it all

hmmm.. biting my tongue.

what about trying the free stuff on virtual homeschool group? you could try the At Your Own Pace with apologia physics.
here
http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/course/index.php?categoryid=4

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond