High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

2017 graduates

re: 2017 graduates

Our youngest graduates this year, so in a sense, so do I.

DS will be attending college about an hour from home. He will be moving next week, because the apartment he'll be living in has a lease that started yesterday. It's bittersweet for sure, but he's already plugged into a church and young group there which makes me feel much better. He also has a mentor in the church that's helping us look after him. :) Anyway, he plans to major in engineering technology and possibly some sort of business degree on the side.

DD who graduated last year is doing very well in college and will also be moving next week. Interestingly, they will be neighbors. :) She is working towards the nursing program in the Fall of 2018, and so far has a 4.0 gpa and is working 3 jobs.

So, I'm done. So far, I'm catching up on projects and babysitting grandson part-time. I'm not sure what after this. Part of me wants to stay at home, but part of me wants a part time job. Only time will tell for sure.

=)

I have always felt a little weird about graduation talk. True confessions: I've never actually "graduated" a child. ???

My 7th and 8th children are 17. The older 6 are 19+ years old. They all just morph unceremoniously into life and suddenly they've grown up and are pursuing their lives: jobs or self employment, marriage, kids (well...that is only just starting and one is just now finishing her qualifications for fostering.)

We have one more year before we celebrate graduation. Like cbollin, our dd has had learning disabilities. She wants to walk in the graduation next year but I dread it. Frankly, I dread rubbing shoulders with the local parents and students as we prepare for the graduation. If you don't have a child who is thriving, who is in dual enrollment, who is graduating from homeschool while simultaneously earning an AA degree, who has achieved greatness in art/music/literature/theater, etc. -- you are not worth their time. Our son thrived and was "part of the fold" but not our dd. Hence, I don't have a high regard for the local snobby group. We've had dd stay busy in other venues, but she insists she wants to walk the line, so we will honor her request.

Awe, Cozy, big hugs.

I have to admit that I have been a mom snob multiple times in my lifetime. I want to kick myself every time. And, it was always before I knew enough about the child to know his individual struggles. Sometimes, just getting someone dressed and out the door is a major milestone.

Do the mom snobs know your daughter well?

Me.

My youngest graduated back in January. She is my last one.

She is currently working for a computer company. Her plan is to eventually move to San Diego and work out there.

I . am. finally. done. homeschooling.

Our eldest daughter graduated college, just got married, and is about to start medical school.

Our DD17 graduated from high school and will be off to college in the fall.

We still have DD13, DD9, DD7, DD4, and DDalmost2 at home.

LMV, you have 7 daughters? No boys? :)

Our son graduated this year. The Lord showed us he was ready to be done with our homeschool time and ready to move on to other ventures. We didn't do high school co-op, dual enrollment/AA/CLEP AP, etc... That was not something he chose to do. Instead, he made time to go on mission trips, serve at church in various ways, and has always been so good to his very own family. We are blessed to call him our son. He decided to take a spring and summer class at community college after graduation and earned As in both. He also worked part-time while doing his class. He finished his job and class in time for his summer mission trip and is now enjoying a few weeks off before he starts a full load at community college. He doesn't plan on working more than part-time and will continue to serve at church and enjoy mission time. So far, so good. College hasn't been difficult at all for my Competent Carl (type A, independent) son.
I'm sure he'll face more challenging courses as time goes on and his load at school is heavier. We are happy he's had a positive start to his college journey. He's not been morally corrupted by the experience either. Exposure to PS has only bolstered his zeal to serve God and witness to the lost. Thank you, Lord!
Michelle32

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond