High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

2017 graduates

2017 graduates

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but who has a kid graduating this year? What are their future plans? I like hearing stories. :)

re: 2017 graduates

I do. :)

My son will graduate, and he is my first. I registered him to participate in the commencement ceremony through the Christian home school organization in our state. He doesn't really care about the cap and gown, and all that, but I thought it would be nice for him, and he would appreciate the memory.

So, that is coming up later in June. And we have a grad party planned for him this Saturday. And our church will honor the grads, so that is a special moment as well. I'm such a sentimental person, so I love this sort of thing.

Anyway, I never realized how BUSY it is to have a graduate! Stressful, but exciting, and sweet, and emotional all in one. Add in all the college planning, orientations, paperwork, etc. And it's even busier...especially when it's your first, and you're a rookie. :)

He is going to attend a private school in the county next to us. He received a great scholarship from them, so this is a huge blessing! He will commute the 25 minutes, and live at home. I'm thankful he is not going away to school. Honestly, I don't think he is ready for that, and neither am I. :D I like knowing he will still be around for at least another four years. He will major in computer science.

I pray he feels comfortable in the whole new environment. He's never been in classrooms before, and all the hustle and bustle. He is a quiet guy, but I just learned another guy friend from youth group is going to the same school. So, I hope they get a couple classes together and can hang out a bit.

I'm still waiting for all these changes to sink in. I think they will when the busyness is done. Then the tears will come...

My middle gal graduated 2 weeks ago. We did senior banquet/prom. But we did not do the city wide homeschool graduation. However we did at least watch it online from home while wearing cap and gown. (Our oldest had done this ceremony a few years ago and that let middle gal know back then she did not want to do that.) We had fun day for graduation starting with zoo visit, fancy meals and desserts. While in cap and gown, we watched the ceremony, facetimed grandparents.

post graduation plans: Gap Year to include:
working with a speech/language pathologist on overcoming issues with auditory processing. (working with means as a client, not as a job).
helping me around house and with teaching her sister (who has autism)
possibly starting jewelry business.
really figuring out how/where to pursue any post high school degrees, and working on any soft skills needed for that (since she does have gaps due to learning disabilities).

Not exactly the stuff you write about on forums, right? but someone has to admit this stuff doesn't always turn out that homeschooling means advanced, college bound, or ready for full time work. What do you do when you have some disabilities that mean it's better to wait a little longer for college?

Looking forward to hearing a wide variety of plans and how it works out for others. :)

Congrats, Moms!

Cbollin, you should never feel as if you can't post about your daughter on forums just because she isn't advanced, etc. We need more people like you. My kids certainly aren't advanced either and there is nothing wrong with that. A spectrum of abilities is reality, and sometimes we need to post more reality. :)

thanks erin.
I like hearing all of the stories. College bound, work bound, military bound, business start bound. all of it!, you know, rejoice with those who are rejoicing. It's just I'm insecure that I have no idea what this kid will do in 3 months from now so I don't know what to say other than yeah, we did it. kwim?

faithandfamily

your story sounds similar to my 2014 story. congratulations! (in our case the 2014 graduate ended up on campus by start of second semester. and eventually she added another major with her cs)

wahoo!!! fun to share that in common. :)

Thank you. And very neat about our eldest. :)

And I so agree!!! I love the diversity in people. It's real.
And it's encouraging.

My own kids are even all so diverse. My grad is very different from the other two. My dd just may go the community college route to start out, before attempting a bigger university. And my youngest..he is so hands-on. I can see him apprenticing for a trade and loving it.

Cbollin, it was from reading the stories and ideas from the moms on this board that I learned how to educate my ADD kid. Yes, she is flourishing now, but, back in the day...oh, my!

So, when we admit our challenges, trials and errors, hesitations, screw ups, and successes, we just might be saving another child from a disaster.

Congratulations to all our homeschool moms!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond