High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Is there a Unit Study style World History for high school?

re: Is there a Unit Study style World History for high school?

This is for my dd. My ds is currently using MFW HS and the Notgrass books, but I wish there was something else. dd did really well with lit-based history and she did writing assignments along the way and other things like timeline and biographical sketches and more that will all be put together as one big research project.
I wish there was something else. Most unit studies seem to be for younger grades.
I want open and go, living books, research project, writing, maybe games if possible.

TRISMS could be what you're looking for.

MorningSong, did you decide on something yet?

If not, take a look at Where the Brook and River Meet. They say it's worth 1 credit of history, mostly World. This is what m 9th grader will be doing this year. It's heavy in literature and language arts, and is very CM-ish with a lot of art, poetry, and life skills built in.

Forgot to link it:

http://cadroncreek.com/shop/where-the-brook-and-river-meet/

I actually have WBRM packed away somewhere. I completely forgot about it. I don't think ds would enjoy it. I am hoping to keep them together, but I ended up with TGTB history 1 and ABeka World history. I will have a 9th (girl) and a 10th grader (boy) this year. I am going to let them decide which they want to use once the ABeka history arrives. They will also be doing a .5 credit in geography, too.

I really like how TGTB is done. I think it is exactly what I was hoping for, but I also like the tidy "World history" package that ABeka offers. It checks the box and they do a very good job of presenting the material. I think my son would like ABeka, but dd will probably go with TGTB. We shall see.

Oh yeah, WBRM is definitely very girl-oriented. I missed that your dd and ds would be doing it together.

My dd likes the looks of Abeka, too, and that's actually what she picked out when we were looking around at the conference back in April. I've actually considered adding either that or Notgrass since the history is so light in WBRM. (You can go deeper if you want to take off on rabbit trails on some of the topics covered each week, but I'm pretty sure we won't do that. We only have so much time!) Plus, I still want to do MFW AHL and WHL with her in the coming two years, and that'll be 2 credits of world history right there. So I'd considered making the "social studies" part of WBRM lean more geography than history, and I could use Abeka Geography for that.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond