High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

The Learnables for foreign language

The Learnables for foreign language

Has anyone ever used this for a foreign language? Thoughts?

Sherrie

re: The Learnables for foreign language

Yes, Spanish, it was ok, but nothing great. Maybe I'm drinking the koolaid here, but we love Rosetta Stone. And duo lingo continues to be a big hit also.

It consists of dvds which aren't spectacular, and a workbook with typical workbook exercises. Not super engaging. But it's ok, gets the job done.

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can download
DuoLingo. It's amazing! Its free and has Spanish and works a lot like the Rosetta Stone type .... only better in my opinion. We're using it for French.

We used it for German. (Dad is a German native so that's why we chose German.) DD liked it a lot and went through all 5 levels and some of the advanced. Skipped language this past year and she missed doing it, so we'll continue on with advanced next year, Sr year. I think it's a fine curriculum and highly recommend it.

The earliest lessons are done on your computer with CD-ROM and then continues with audio CDs with the accompanying book--has black and white drawings with script. Was great to use in the car too!

Thanks lovemyfamily -- I think I'm going to order German 1. We registered and paid for German online through Oklahoma State university, but DS isn't thrilled with it. He can't get over the videos looking like they came from the "Lost" series. LOL!

I am sending an email asking to drop him from the class, which is allowed and fully refunded, if done within 6 weeks. He's in his 2nd week, so hopefully no issues there.

Thanks for the German review...we're looking forward to trying it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond