Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

What kids pick up from adults....

What kids pick up from adults....

We recently had my dh's 8.5 year old niece ride with us from my in-laws home to her home, about a 15 minute ride. She was chatting happily with my dd13, but I thought I would be a good aunt and ask about her life. I asked how school was going (she is in 3rd grade), to which she replied, "Since I go to public school (actually a small private Christian school), I have more opportunities than homeschoolers have." :-O Then she went into how her teacher likes engineering, so they do engineering projects with the lower grades... as if we wouldn't be able to do things like that.

I must say I was shocked that this would be her first response to a question about her schooling. Why would this even be in her mind? Obviously she has heard this statement from either her parents (my dh's sister and husband) or grandparents. It wouldn't surprise me to have either ones saying it, but still shocking to hear it from an 8 year old.

I didn't say anything to her about how wrong that statement is, but I kinda want to casually share the story with her parents and grandparents to see them squirm...but I know that definitely isn't the right attitude.

re: What kids pick up from adults....

LOL! No doubt someone has told her that. Makes me wonder if she's asked about being homeschooled and perhaps mom or dad used this as a reason to why they don't homeschool.

We all talk from our perspectives. I was in the car with my dd, she's a nanny, and we had the two children she cares for with us. School was letting out and the little boy was so excited to see a school bus, and when we drove by the school he informed us that was the big boy's school. We got a chuckle because our kids would always call the school bus, the jail bus, and the school a prison. :) I remember them saying it once around dh's brother's wife, and she was so appalled!

Funny!

I would have a hard time keeping my mouth shut and not saying something like" now why do you think you have more opportunity than home schoolers do?"

Well, the child is right. That is because homeschoolers are too busy doing daily science labs. Lol.

Huh, it's a strange thing that they've got kindy kids and elem. kids doing engineering >>wink<< but they can't manage their times tables, fractions, or decimals; can't write an essay; can't read for information; and need remedial help even for community college.

And for all that these brilliant minds are doing engineering >>wink<< I wonder why we continue to need so many H1B Visas for foreign tech workers.

Aiming for superiority and one-upmanship knows no age limits.:) How well I recall my elem. and jr. high days.

i read your post twice.
the "vibe" I got is this: your niece has probably ASKED her parents "why can't I BE HOMESCHOOLED?"...to which her parents have said: "Because there are more opportunities when you attend school". (i.e...WE parents always load our kids with information to support OUR decisions, right?)....So...nothing was meant in malice. Her parents simply told her that THEIR CHOICE FOR HER IS BETTER...so that she could accept this.
You asked...and you heard what she's been told.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat