Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Getting rid of stuff

Getting rid of stuff

Are any of you minimalists? I cannot stand it when our house gets messy or is cluttered... it makes me anxious. I constantly declutter, but the kids still manage to make huge messes around the house. I started feeling like we have too much stuff, so I decided to get rid of everything we don't actually need/use. I was also tired of hounding everyone to clean all day.

I got curious if anyone else feels this way and googled it. I read that the less toys kids have, the more they actually get played with. It does make sense because normally when there are lots of toys, the pieces are scattered and hard to find when wanted.

I then read a blog where the woman said she was basically managing stuff all day... management of things... and that is when it hit me that is exactly what I had been doing for a long time. I've have gotten rid of about 40 bags so far. My friend was curious as to how I have that much stuff, as she never felt like our house was messy, but I guess I hide it well? We do have a ton of closets in our house and they are all large. It was eye opening to realize how much stuff we were just storing that was never being used.

Trying to determine how far to go now. I've read about minimalists... many seem to be into new age stuff, which I found strange, and isn't something I am interested in. I did find some Christian minimalists. Has anyone else done this? How hard is it to maintain?

re: Getting rid of stuff

It's a choice constant battle especially when homeschooling. I have to agree, the less the better. Just stay away from the stores.

farmschool is right - staying away from stores is key. Massive amounts of clutter often goes hand in hand with compulsive shopping or shopping for entertainment.

Minimalism is not necessarily solely about less stuff - it's about only owning what you find useful, beautiful and that brings joy to your life. Minimalism is going to look different ways for different people. One might have a roomful of beautiful furniture and little else; another might have a wall of bookshelves but very little clutter elsewhere and thrifted but comfortable furnishings.

I consider myself to be on a minimalist path. A key for us has been living in a smaller space; for the last 8 years we've lived in a 1248 sq. ft. apartment, and for 5 of those years there were six of us. Now it's just 4, but I still continually weed things out and try very hard not to bring more in. My daughters' rooms are their business; I don't tell them what they can or cannot have or how to decorate (they are 19 and 17). I do not like large empty spaces, so if I had a larger home I would be tempted to fill it with things. Small spaces are cozier and homier to me. For someone else, a large space minimally furnished would better suit their needs and personality.

Dh and I hope to end up in an efficiency apartment or a a tiny home when it's just us.

I'm on the minimalist path. My level of minimalism will never look like that of a particular friend of mine -- I still like my "real" cookbooks rather than searching for ALL my recipes and cooking help online, for example -- but I'll be paring down how many cookbooks I actually own.

I've had a problem with managing "stuff" for YEARS... for as long as I can remember, in fact. Even when I was single. For a long time I felt pretty good about myself because I didn't have AS bad of a problem as my mom did, but eventually I realized that I *do* have a problem, so the fact that we've moved a lot and been forced to declutter some each time, and have never lived in a house as big as the one I grew up in (thus preventing my problem from being as bad as my mom's!), doesn't make my problem "better" than hers.

I still haven't gotten to the point of removing 40 bags at once, but every bag that goes to the thrift shop, and every cardboard box full of recycling that goes out each week, is a step in the right direction. It helps that we bought a house and have stopped moving, because I'm tackling boxes and bags that literally didn't get unpacked for YEARS. As I unpack and deal with those, I'm realizing how much money (and time) I've wasted replacing stuff that we already owned. THAT is just foolish!

I feel there is different types or levels of minimalism. Minimalism has nothing to do with the size of your house or how much of anything you have. I believe that minimalism has to do with using what you have.

I purged my closet a year ago. I'm not even sure if anyone would consider my wardrobe as excessive. I have an extremely small walk-in. I have half and dh has half. When something new goes in, then something else comes out. If I have not worn it in a year, it goes directly to Goodwill for someone else to use. My girls are good at doing this as well.

I have 3 sheets sets for each bed that I rotate. And I have purged almost everything but the garage and my dh office, which is his domain.

I'm not a shopper I HATE to shop. I buy only what I need and I have never been a compulsive buyer. I think this helps a lot. I think that minimalism mentality helps us not to buy for the sake of buying. It's a mind set. And I agree that not going to stores helps tremendously.

One day when I sell this house. I will leave with one wardrobe full of clothes for each person. A couple of selected treasured furniture pieces, my knick knacks and that is it. It will take the smallest of moving trucks to help us move. Everything in my house will be sold or donated. It's not going with me. I will buy specifically what I need for my next home so that the furniture is purchased specifically for the size of that home.

This post was edited on Nov 06, 2017 12:10 PM

I've never had the $ to be able to buy/own more than I *needed.*

I've also never lived in a large enough space that I *could* fit in more than we needed.

I'm *also* allergic to dust (truly!). :) I get asthmatic!

And finally, I'm such a very *practical* person, that I never want what I don't functionally need.

So all that to say, we have what we need, no clutter, no excess, and whenever I stop needing something, I thrift it or give it to someone else who will be blessed by it.

My thought: perhaps see this as a beautiful opportunity to let God bless others through you, as you share your abundance to others with less. ??? Kind of like Barnabus -- in Acts. ??? Just a thought. I'm big on shifting my paradigm to help myself with things. Anyway -- that's my take on it. I've personally been So Blessed by things from the thrift store or given to me by others, so I feel pretty exhilarated to get to do the same. :)

Me!!!!! Some people hoard....I'm the opposite. I get rid of too much!

I go back and forth, I purge and I hoard, and then I purge again....

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat