Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Mike Rowe article on trade school

Mike Rowe article on trade school

http://mikerowe.com/2017/11/otw-good-question-from-hard-working-derrick/

I thought this was real interesting on public schools and trade school.

Do you think this ius true in your area?

re: Mike Rowe article on trade school

Interesting. I will have to ask my IRL friends who are teachers.

I know this is true in my area, sad to say. This not only deprives American young men of good well-paying careers, but it also leaves a gap which serves as an excuse to allow illegal immigrants who are strong in those trades to come here.

I'm not sure when local schools did away with "shop" classes. An older friend's ds (now in his 40s) took classes in HS which enabled him to graduate with so much knowledge and hands-on work, he didn't even need to be apprenticed to anyone; he went straight into a well-paying job as an electrician.

In the aftermath of H. Katrina, he and his wife went to Biloxi, MS (the area hardest hit) with their RV and set up shop. He worked there for several years; it took a long time to get everything back up and running. He made a ton of money during that time.

I did not know that schools get perks for the percentage of prep students they graduate, but that's really eye-opening, as well as very sad. Lots of dc are not wired for college, but are very able and willing to learn skills for great careers in trade. The lack of those opportunities may be one reason for the ever-increasing numbers of young men on drugs, because they have no meaningful life. I wouldn't be surprised if that is so.

This has also hurt our economy in a major way, as I mentioned above, with illegal immigrants taking and holding those jobs.

This post was edited on Nov 07, 2017 04:29 PM

Absolutely. One of the factors that makes a school a "good school" is percentage of students who graduate and Go To College, from the liberal perspective. And they're the ones in control of the schools.

Thanks for posting, interesting article.

We recently toured our local community college and one prof said that graduates of his program (CAD) all had job offers and he had at least 12 other employers looking for students. This is the program that my ds is interested in.

Our local high school still offers, electricity, agriculture, auto mechanics, cosmetology, nurses aide and other vocational courses. I don't know the percentage of students who take those courses.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat