Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Minnie, Martin Luther

Minnie, Martin Luther

The thread on the Reformation took a turn away from a comment before I could say something. You have mentioned that Martin Luther was anti-Semitic. There is actually more to that. He had a great deal of sympathy for the Jews when he was younger, and he worked hard at converting them. However, it was only after years of not being very successful that he became more vocal against them. Additionally, his daughter Magdalena died, leaving him devastated and bitter. That also coincides with his change of heart as far as the Jews were concerned.

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 03:35 PM

re: Minnie, Martin Luther

Very helpful, foofou. It's also said, "the greater the man, the greater the flaw." At any rate, any flaw becomes much more noticeable. If he'd been a "nobody," no one would know what his views were. He was a great man, who wasn't perfect, as only God is. But still -- an amazing man, a brave and courageous man, a God-loving man, who deserves his place in history. :) And thank you, Martin Luther, for "A Mighty Fortress is our God!" :)

Yes, I did read that his hatred occurred after he was older, but, I did not know why. Thank you for the lesson.

Yes everything foofoo said is true.
Luther was a sinner just like all of us.

Not that it really matters but his hatred, was rooted in frustration, because he Knew well the truth of Christ and couldn't understand how on earth they could reject HIm the Christ our Savior.

So yes he said terrible things in his later years, but the root of why is interesting, while it doesn't change what he said of course.

He was always very strong with his language, never mincing words and saying very bold statements to make his points.

And thank you, Martin Luther, for "A Mighty Fortress is our God!" :)
-------

Amen! That was our opening hymn Sunday morning. :)

It shows, once again, that God is in the business of using flawed vessels.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat