Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Happy 500 anniversary!

re: Happy 500 anniversary!

3rd post...sorry.

This verse!

1 Corinthians 11:27-29New International Version (NIV)
27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
New International Version (NIV)

See how verse speaks of in the same sentence four elements.

It speaks of bread, wine, body, and blood.

Those who eat and drink with out discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

This is no small thing!

The Greek is clear too!

He is not talking about anything but his flesh.

And other verses speak about eating his body using term in Greek that me to "knaw on" his bones very graphic language that is not disputable.

Greek is our friend here.

I used to think like many of you, but the Greek clears it up.

God's Word does not say that anyone should, or does, literally partake of the body and blood of Christ Jesus.

He does not argue with Himself, and this was the decision He led the apostles to make regarding new converts, as it is written in Acts 15:

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Here are two more verses that reveal infant faith and below that I reply.

Pslams 22 vs 9-10

Yet you brought me out of the womb;
    you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
From birth I was cast on you;
    from my mother’s womb you have been my God.

Luke 1:15 English Standard Version (ESV)
15 for he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.

Now about the verse you gave us, it is consistent with what the Bible has always said about how you are not to drink blood, because the "life of the creature is in the blood" And the reference is about not partaking in Pagan rituals that ruled the day.

You can see much writing in the Bible about the Lord's Supper and how important it is and how the Corinthians abused it by getting drunk and feasting instead of concentrating on the proper things, in that they were told that if they didn't discern the body they were eating and drinking judgement on themselves. (BTW they got drunk, which shows us it was indeed wine they drank.) If the Lord's Supper were not important our brother in Christ, Paul would not have taken such measures to correct how they were practicing it.

Perhaps I will share some of those verses later that pertain to the Lord's Supper as I don't want to be on the computer all day today...: )

So, if the life of the creature is in the blood, and we can also read in Levitcus that it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life (from the Old Testament sacrifices ordained by God).

Then how amazing is it that Christ him self, true God said, 'take drink, this is my blood given for you for the remission of sins"!!!

He is giving us his life giving blood! (TO sustain us in this sin filled world in which we dwell.)

You see the old testament and the new testament are not separate books, no, they are really one book authored by our loving God and God knew how it would end when He started the Bible.

You may recall Luke 24 vs 27 That Christ did this after his resurrection.

"And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself."

Christ showed the disciples how the whole of scriptures pointed to Christ.

So when you read now the Old Testament knowing that it points to our Christ the New Testament now shines a light on the old. You can now read the Old Testament and see now how it points forward to Christ.

With that, knowing our God is the one author and that our God knew how the book would end, you can take a closer look at the Old TEstament sacrifices, that were ordained by our God, and see how they point ahead to our Lord and even the Lord's Supper. (the Body and blood were under the bread and wine)

So within that their is much to be examined in both testaments to see how they parallel.

And parallel they do because the Old TEstament is constantly being quoted but it often goes unnoticed by us.

So with that said,

Christ quotes during His institution of the Lords supper words spoken at each Old testament Feast.(He made up no new words and the words spoken were easily recognized by the Jews present at the table) As if to say that this is the culmination of all those feasts, or this is the feast to end all feasts.

But this goes unnoticed by most.

With in that is this, Christ also says "this is the new covenant in my blood."

This is covenant speech, which is no small thing, each time our dear God makes a covenant with His people he gives them something physical along with it.

So go back and read the account of the flood and the promise after the flood to remind you how our God works.

God gives us a physical rainbow to mark his promise, (in the Lords Supper we are given physical elements that mark his promise.)

Quote: Here are two more verses that reveal infant faith and below that I reply.

Pslams 22 vs 9-10

Yet you brought me out of the womb;
you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
From birth I was cast on you;
from my mother’s womb you have been my God.

Luke 1:15 English Standard Version (ESV)
15 for he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything above this line is a quote from Lizbeth.

Psalm 22 is a prophecy about Christ.

(For example: "They pierced my hands and my feet", verse 16. "And for my clothing they cast lots", verse 18.)

Luke 1:15 is a prophecy about John the baptist. (For example: "And he will turn many of the sons of Israel back to the Lord their God. It is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah... verses 16, 17.)

So I do not feel that these verses should be applied to infants in general. Obviously, all infants will not grow up to have their hands pierced, and not all infants will be a forerunner to Christ. Therefore, I do not feel like the other prophecies in these verses concerning Jesus and John the baptist should be applied to infants in general.

----------------------------
Sorry: edited for typo.

This post was edited on Nov 04, 2017 05:26 PM

Quote from lizbeth: "but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea"

The Greek word for little ones that is translated here is a word that means nursing child under 2 years old."
-------------------------------------------------------------

In fact, in the verse listed above, the word translated "little ones" is "mikros" in the Greek. This word simply means little or small. We are all familiar with this Greek root which is used in words like microscope and micrometer.

This term is used many times in the Bible, such as to describe Zacchaeus, the small man who climbed the tree to see Jesus. He was obviously not a nursing child under two years old.

Our Loving God cannot contradict himself or support falsehood.

If one child can have faith in the Bible then that shows us that others can too.

Our entrance to heaven is by God's grace and He applies His grace to us in several ways.

So Baptism now saves us, is God's word and for our comfort, (yes someone can then not tend to their faith and lose it...we are warned this through the parable of the talents.)

We are saved through our FAtih in Christ so too the thief on the cross shows us that a man who sinned and never set his foot in a church or never was baptized and never had communion and never confessed his sins, BUT HAD FAITH IN CHRIST, too is assured his place in heaven.

All these examples are for our comfort. God comforts us with the examples of his grace applied to many in many ways, and because he cannot contradict himself or support falsehood, we know we can trust in these examples for our comfort.

God is good! God is loving, God who adopted the Jewish children on the 8th day also loves your children, he is consistent!!!

This post was edited on Nov 05, 2017 06:07 PM

I do not want to overlook in this discussion what is of first importance.

"For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures." I Corinthians 15:3-4

“And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12

I hope everyone has a blessed day.

Acts 8 was the next chapter in my regular Bible reading today. This passage from the NKJV addresses issues which have been raised here:

12 But when they [Samaritans] believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized ...

(Men and women were baptized. Infant baptism is never seen or taught in the Bible. Christ Jesus commanded His disciples to go forth to all nations and baptize *believers* in what is called the Great Commission, the last couple verses of Matthew. He repeated that charge before He ascended back to the Father in Acts 1.)

14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them,

15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.

16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

(This addresses something a pp said earlier.)

Mama Anna, your post addressed the bottom line. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat