Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Happy 500 anniversary!

re: Happy 500 anniversary!

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

^^^

Beautiful passage, Gr8ful, regarding believer's baptism, and the security of infants who die.

Some misunderstand the word "for" which has created the controversy regarding baptismal regeneration.

It does not mean "be baptized in order to get forgiveness" but "be baptized because your sins are forgiven and you're showing forth that which has happened." It takes the meaning "because of" or "as a result of."

Another important factor is that while "repent" and "forgiveness of sins" is in the second person plural, "be baptized" is in the third person singular!! In other words, everyone needs to repent for forgiveness of sin, and then each of you get baptized. Makes sense! :) Only saved people who've repented even want to get baptized. I don't know of any unsaved folks worried about baptism. :)

Some explanation of this in more detail:
http://www.equip.org/article/does-acts-238-teach-baptismal-remission/

[Jesus said]... "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned."

^^

:o)

This passage proves the opposite and one does not even need to know Greek; it is clear in the words themselves. Note that only he who has disbelieved (not he who has debelieved and not been baptized) is condemned.

Why is the one condemned, condemned only for not believing, rather than also for not being baptized?

The reason is that the one who believes gets baptized after the fact, as a sign of his belief; the one who does not believe, never bothered to get baptized.

Belief saved; disbelief condemned; and the passage shows that clearly.

(If I believe a chair will hold my weight, I will sit on it; if I don't think so, I will not sit upon it. If I believe in Jesus to save me, I'll get baptized; if I don't, I won't. Actions show what has taken place in the heart/mind already.)

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is ***born of water*** and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." (John 3:5)

^^

Jesus is here speaking with Nicodemus. The entire passage has a play on words which we do not "see" in the English as it might be seen in the Greek. This sentence is more of that play on words and ideas. Nicodemus himself questioned how one could be "born again," since a full grown adult can't go back into his mother's womb. (Jews were always so very, very literal.) :) Jesus goes right along with that -- We do not enter the kingdom unless we've been born of water (physical body in the water of our mother's womb) AND the spirit (spiritual new birth). Nicodemus, you've met your intellectual match!

So when the jailer went home with Paul and Silas and his entire family was baptized, and knowing that families in those days were all of your kin brothers, of your father and all of their families and all of their servants, you are reading into the text when you claim that no child was there. They had no birth control. There is no clear text that says children weren't baptized.

So I cannot believe the Bible when it says, "Baptism now saves you"?

I cannot trust these verses then? The Bible is lying to me?

Your argument is not with me, it is with the clear and written word of God.

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is ***born of water*** and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." (John 3:5)

[Jesus said]... "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned."

[Jesus said]... "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." Matt. 28:18-20

Note that Saul (Paul) was not saved on the road to Damascus. He spoke to Jesus on the road, then he fasted and prayed for three days, and then he was told... ‘Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’ Acts 22:16

... the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through **the water**. Corresponding to that, **baptism now saves you**—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 3:21

"But the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected God's purpose for themselves, not having been baptized by John." Luke 17:30

During baptism, the believer reenacts the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus: "Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection." Romans 6:3-5

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." Galatians 3:27

Then Peter said unto them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, ***here is water***; what doth hinder me to be baptized?" Acts 8:36

"And he took them that very hour of the night and washed their wounds, and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household." Acts 16:33

The thief on the cross could not have been baptized into Christ because Christ had not died yet. "Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?" Romans 6:3 The thief was still living under the law of Moses as Christ had not yet died.
"For where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives." Hebrew 9:16-17

[Jesus said]... "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." Matt. 28:18-20

^^^

Nothing new here. Baptism is a sign of one's new birth, and something Christ Himself did, and we are to do, in obedience.

(By the way, there can be NO DOUBT that Jesus was saved PRIOR TO his baptism by John. :) Baptism did not save Jesus. Nor does it save us. We are baptized for the same reason, as an outward sign to others.)

So I cannot believe the Bible when it says, "Baptism now saves you"?

I cannot trust these verses then? The Bible is lying to me?

^^^

Pretty disingenuous to put words into my mouth; disappointing. :(

(Iow, it doesn't help the discussion to put words into others' mouths; it helps things along to share what we believe, and why -- which is what has been occurring, heretofore, in this thread, and probably the only way to move forward most helpfully.)

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 06:09 PM

I am sorry to disappoint you and earn a frowning face.

It *sounds* like to me, that you are telling me that I cannot trust the words of Christ and that it is all more complex then the simple written text seems to be saying.

My point is Christ is clear. The text is clear.

This will not be resolved here, but I type for those who it may benefit.

I love how every one loves Luther and the Reformation until he started speaking about what the Bible says and how it is clear,

Here is the reformation in short.

Luther said, "the Bible says it, so it must be so"

But every one thinks it's about the list he put up on the door.

lol

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat