Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Happy 500 anniversary!

re: Happy 500 anniversary!

The words "Baptists" is also a handy little acrostic. :o)

B
The Bible as the sole authority; New Testament as our only rule for faith and practise.
A
Autonomy of the local church
P
Individual priesthood of the believer
T
Two ordinances only: baptism and the Lord's Table
I
Individual soul liberty
S
Only saved and baptized church members, saved by grace through faith alone, apart from any work
T
Only two offices in the church, deacon and pastor/elder
S
Separation of church and state

Until we had true and full religious freedom in the U.S., the Baptists were also persecuted here. It is thanks to the Virginia Baptists that we have a separation of church and state. The Baptists in VA said no, we do not want to be and will not be the state church in VA, even if you say that we are; and we will not require or compel anyone living in VA to attend a Baptist church. They saw to it that one could follow one's own religious beliefs no matter which colony he lived in.

ETA
I should note that some other groups were, as well, such as the Quakers, the Mormons, etc. When Protestants saw errors in RC teaching and corrected them, that was good; but they didn't go far enough, liking to retain the power of a state to compel. The early Puritans held on to that power with vigor. Of course, that's why poor Roger Williams was put out of the colony in the middle of winter -- a death sentence, for any who know Mass., had God not saved his life through the kindness of the Indians.

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 01:00 PM

Re: persecution of Baptists in our country.

Ironically, in this country, the Catholics were heavily persecuted. And until fairly recently in our nation’s history. By Protestants. Which explains the parochial school movement. Something people don’t really like to remember, but it’s best we do. In fact, some of the earliest attempts of separation of church and state were actually instituted BY Protestants, aimed at Catholics, to keep federal/state funding from their schools, which were arising due to the intolerance of Protestants in the state run schools. Very unfortunate where that effort has led, so many years later.

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is ***born of water*** and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." (John 3:5)

[Jesus said]... "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned."

[Jesus said]... "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." Matt. 28:18-20

Note that Saul (Paul) was not saved on the road to Damascus. He spoke to Jesus on the road, then he fasted and prayed for three days, and then he was told... ‘Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’ Acts 22:16

... the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through **the water**. Corresponding to that, **baptism now saves you**—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 3:21

"But the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected God's purpose for themselves, not having been baptized by John." Luke 17:30

During baptism, the believer reenacts the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus: "Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection." Romans 6:3-5

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." Galatians 3:27

Then Peter said unto them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, ***here is water***; what doth hinder me to be baptized?" Acts 8:36

"And he took them that very hour of the night and washed their wounds, and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household." Acts 16:33

The thief on the cross could not have been baptized into Christ because Christ had not died yet. "Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?" Romans 6:3 The thief was still living under the law of Moses as Christ had not yet died.
"For where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives." Hebrew 9:16-17

That is why Baptists are not Protestants. They had no need to leave the RCC because they were never part of it. There have always been believers faithful to the truth, as Jesus Himself said, the gates of hell shall not prevail against His church. He always maintains a faithful remnant who remain true to His Word in spite of mockery or outright persecution. Baptists may believe that others hold false teachings, but they ALSO know biblically that others have the right to hold those beliefs, and ought not to be compelled to any other belief. We either come freely to the cross or not at all. No compulsion. Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty -- and that same Lord wants people to come to Him freely.

I said, "*To RC's, their religion is not a denomination. They consider all Protestant groups to be denominations.*

I said this Because RC's have said this very thing To Me, Many Times. I was not aware of this until they told me this. My h/s RC friend did not tell me this, but she was not raised RC. She married an RC man and converted so they could be married in the RC tradition and raise their dc in it.

So you can decide if the following statement is still true to you, in light of who has said this to me Many Times, in order to "explain" to me why my non-RC church "is not really a true church":

"I find this such an arrogant and offensive statement spoken by a self-righteous mouth."

ETA: ILMC, I just read p. 3 and saw where M4J, who is related to many RC's (I did not know that before now) attested to the truth of what I stated here.

I'm not sure why you and Lizbeth took umbrage at my remarks. I did not post for the purpose of offending anyone, just to try to address Minnie's questions as concisely as possible. I clearly stated that I learned about RC beliefs from actual real RC's and a former RC priest of several decades.

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 04:53 PM

Good verses that you have shared mamma anna.

The text is clear.

And yes you can live your life hearing the word of God and still end up in heaven with out having been baptized or taken the Lord's supper, but these things are given to you to help sustain you during this sinful terrible life, they are free gifts to you.

It is God's grace that saves.

Baptism does something for our benefit, it is not law for us to obediently follow it is God's grace put on us with God's word, God's grace also is put on us with the words of God during the Lords' supper, God's grace also was put on the thief on the cross.

God's grace saves us.

God's grace comes to us in many forms.

The Bible says Baptism saves.

Why wouldn't you believe the simple and clear text?

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 04:54 PM

Right here:

(I'm pasting only a small portion from the entire link. Even more details follow. I think copyright allows pasting only portions not in entirety.)

https://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/chura2a.htm

152. Which is the one true Church established by Christ?

The one true Church established by Christ is the Catholic Church.

(a) Many churches which claim to be Christian have broken away from the one true Church established by Jesus Christ. These churches were founded by men who had no authority from God to found a church.

(b) Christ intended that there should be only one true Christian Church, for He always spoke of His Church as one.

Here is some more:

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/two-minute-answers/

The Church and the Papacy

Why do Catholics believe the Catholic Church is the one true Church, founded 2,000 years ago by Jesus Christ Himself?

Where does the Pope get his authority to lead the Church on earth? What do Catholics believe about ‘apostolic succession’?

Again, Matthew 16:18 is key to understanding Christ’s intent to pass on the authority to lead the Church to Peter and the apostles. Christ tells Peter that he is the rock on which He will build His church.When Catholics use the term apostolic succession, they are referring to the line of bishops that stretches all the way back to the apostles—to Peter—the first Pope. Apostolic tradition (the authentic teaching of the apostles) was handed from Christ to the apostles, and from them to their successors. This unbroken line of popes (the bishops of Rome) and all other bishops have guided the Church for the past 2,000 years, just as Christ intended (Matthew 28:19-20).Christ sent His apostles out into the world with authority to teach and heal (Luke 9:1-2) and to forgive sins (John 20:23). This God-given authority is exercised by the bishops within the Catholic Church to this day.

Pope Benedict says so, also:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19692094/ns/world_news-europe/t/pope-other-denominations-not-true-churches/

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy — Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says Orthodox churches were defective and that other Christian denominations were not true churches.

More reasons the RCC is the only true church:
http://www.catholic365.com/article/1723/5-reasons-the-catholic-church-is-the-true-church.html

All from the mouth (pen) :) of Catholics themselves.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat