Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Happy 500 anniversary!

re: Happy 500 anniversary!

Yup, one baptism- that of the Holy Spirit. Which occurs at the moment salvation, which is when you have accepted the Lord as your Savior.

If you choose to water baptize as an expression or a symbol of this baptism, fine. But there is no saving power in the water.

But the Bible clearly disagrees with you. Baptism is not an outward act of your faith, it does something and if it does something it is an act of God not man's action.

YOu are right there is no *magic* in the water, but the water and the word saves!

1 Peter 3 vs 20...

... In the ark a few people, only eight souls, were saved through water. 21And this water symbolizes the baptism ***that now saves you****—not the removal of dirt from the body, but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,…

!!!Baptism now saves you! (the text is clear)

Romans 6 vs 4...

We were therefore buried with him*** through baptism**** into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

!!!Baptism buries us with Christ, the work of God Baptizing us through HIS word buries us with Christ and raises us too!

Colossians 2

In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15He disarmed the rulers and authoritiesb and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.c

!!!!Baptism is a circumcision done with out hands! (Note too that our loving God adopted Jewish children into his family through circumcision on the 8th day! Our Loving God loves your children too!)

Acts 2 vs 39...

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39This promise belongs to you and to your children and to all who are far off, to all whom the Lord our God will call to Himself.”

There are many more verses about Baptism, and verses about to wash with water. In the Greek Baptism means to wash with water. So any where you see the word Baptism you could replace it with "to wash with water" and anywhere you see the words "to wash with water" you can use the word Baptism which is what the text says in original greek.

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 09:36 AM

Lizbeth, no offense, but every verse you quoted except 1 Peter 3:20 doesn’t even mention water when talking about baptism, and in the 1Peter quote, you should not read that without at least reading 1Peter 18-19 which clearly discusses the Spirit.

The word baptize means to wash with water! lol Every where the word baptism is used that is what it means, it is a Greek word that means to wash with water and when you look at original text you can see many other places that speak of baptism but our English translators use the words to wash with water. They are interchangeable.

So I cannot believe the Bible when it says "Baptism now saves you"?

That is the verse I am to ignore?

Are there others?

This post was edited on Nov 02, 2017 09:46 AM

2nd post ilovemychildren,

Look at the verses that you kindly took the time to read, it clearly says that Baptism does something does it not?

Lizbeth, I am not sure what you are not understanding. Baptism does not necessarily mean water. It can mean by the Holy Spirit (which is the one that occurs at the time of salvation - it is the gift mentioned in Acts 2:38 that empowers us to go out and spread the Gospel. If you cannot accept that, then ok. Fine. I am not going to keep saying it.

I have two questions for you regarding Scripture, assuming that water baptism is necessary and equates salvation.

First, those that John clearly baptized before Christ (since he was known as John the Baptist), were they saved at the time of their water baptisms? Is not, why did John, a godly man, baptize them?

Second, the thief on the cross next to Jesus. Was he not saved? No water baptism took place there.

ILMC,
My family's background, and my husband's, is RC; and most of our family remains in the RCC. My father was studying to be a priest before he got saved. I live in a heavily RC area of the country, as well. I can attest to Gr8ful's words that many Catholics do indeed believe that they are the true and only church, not merely one denomination among many possible options. You can hear the same thing from the show "The Journey Home" on EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network -- available online, as well). This isn't unkindly meant; rather, it's just what they themselves say (also said, by them, not unkindly). Just stated. Hope that explains better.......?

Baptism.....Is it symbolic or does it save? Many believers have been persecuted, burned at the stake, tortured, and in many other ways cruelly treated because they stood on the Bible's truths that baptism is an outward sign and does not save; and that the Lord's table is a memorial event and does not impart merit.

Believers who steadfastly affirm those truths have not been generally well received, because the flesh wants something, even some little thing, to "do."

Faith alone saves means that we can do nothing.

We are baptized and take the Lord's table in obedience and to follow our Lord Jesus, Who was baptized, and Who instituted the Lord's table supper.

But if for some reason we couldn't do either of those things, yet were saved through faith alone in Christ's redemptive work on the cross and resurrection, we would still be with Him in eternity, in Heaven.

This is a dividing line between believers down through the ages.

Baptists and Anabaptists have, thankfully, affirmed the individual priesthood of the believer and do not believe in persecuting others for their beliefs; nor in the power of a state to compel.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat