Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: Sorry to start another thread about the same thing

re: re: re: Sorry to start another thread about the same thing

Specialt has a very good post.

I take omeprozole and it works for me.

The other drug is Protonix. Which I mentioned before. My dd was on this. It is strong . So this can be used short term until she can move on to omeprozole or another long term acid reducer as specialt mentioned .

GERD needs an alkaline diet, once her system has quieted down: quality protein, quality oils (olive, coconut, ghee), green vegetables in abundance, fruit, though much less in proportion to vegetable intake, whole unprocessed starches (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, squash, sweet potatoes, etc.). Basically from-scratch whole foods.

That is pretty much all I am feeding her. I have been using avocado oil with her as well. Since she can't have citric acid; it has ruled out a lot of fruits for us. So it's basically bananas, apples( not apple juice), grapes in moderation, and cantaloupe.

Bananas increase my heartburn, and they give constipation. Most fruits bother me until I have the issue under control.
Fruity flavored drinks and koolaids are terrible for it, too. Even Gatorade (which I won't use anyway) hurts me.

Magnesium supplements help relieve constipation: Natural Calm

Also if constipation a problem there is a tea called Smooth Move that gently works but only use one tea bag. It really works!

Yes, elevate the head of her bed. That helps. I use these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X1R0I2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried taller risers, but they hurt my back.

Also, if she uses omeprazole, don't ever stop taking it abruptly. I did that and had the worst pain of my life in my stomach/intestines. Doctor did not tell me to wean off it.

I agree with Specialt about the Nexium. My oldest son suffered from severe GERD and ulcers and Nexium is the only thing that helps him. It doesn't help that he smokes and has a very nervous personality. I have told him repeatedly not to eat before going to bed and to sleep in an elevated position. Protonix is very good also, we use it in IV form for ED use. Not sure if it is approved in pediatric patients. You can now buy nexium OTC but it is expensive. I found the best price is at Sam's Club. I agree that perhaps she is taking the gaviscon and Carafate too much.

Can your daughter try broth/soup (nonacidic) right now? She can work her way back up to solids but maybe her stomach needs the BRAT diet (minus the bananas if they aggravate her) or the GAPS diet. Sounds like her gut really needs to heal. I'm sure it's hard to find foods that don't irritate her. Good luck finding out what is wrong with her :)

One thing I've not seen mentioned - these acid blockers - prilosec, etc. work over time - they have to build up in the bloodstream and then be maintained. You don't just take the pill and instantly feel great for the day. This is why when you go off of them it is a graduated schedule versus cold turkey. On the flip side, many of these meds have shown to create damage on the outside of the esophagus - just when you thought you were feeling great.

I'd be keeping a food journal to see what foods may/may not create a discomfort - even as she is healing. If she is eating apples - they are best eaten in the morning because they take a long time to digest so it is sitting in the stomach longer. This is one food (along with carrots) I could never give my dd because it made symptoms worse.

Whoever mentioned about taking the Gaviscon just at night ; I just want to say thanks.

First, I'm sure they will call me today and I will let them know my concern with the aluminum. But for now, it is saving us. She had 4 great days in a row. Eating everything she is allowed in sight. She's gained 3 pounds back. She was out with friends this weekend as well. She says she can live with the little bit of nausea from the Gaviscon and take the nausea meds, but that's nothing compared to when she has pain. So no pain for 4 days and she is happy.

Second, the Gaviscon has actually helped her constipation problem from the prevacid and Pepcid . As Gaviscon can sometimes cause loose bowel movements. So it's counteracting each other and it's all good.

So unless the Dr. changes something, we have found our path ( for now). Lately, I wake up expecting anything to change. :0)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat