Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

What is with all these teen girls and ulcers? Now my dd's turn.

What is with all these teen girls and ulcers? Now my dd's turn.

My daughter, just turned 19, and has been complaining of pain in her upper abdomen, going through to her back for a few weeks. The last several days the pain was getting more severe, and was worse anytime she ate. She had bouts of nausea, but never vomitted. By Saturday she was in ALOT of pain. So much so that she didn't eat at all Sunday, so I took her to the ER last night.

I was thinking it might be gall stones, but they did a sonogram and ruled them out. Did a bunch of other testing, gave her a bunch of pain meds and antacids, and her pain decreased significantly.

They ended up saying it was ulcers, referred her to a gastroenterologist for a scope in a few weeks, and sent her home with Carafate, Pepcid, and Zofran for nausea.

They already seem to be helping; she was able to eat supper tonight and felt fine after.

But what is going on with all these young girls developing ulcers?? First crickets Dd, then Toni, now mine.

re: What is with all these teen girls and ulcers? Now my dd's turn.

I don’t know if it’s a girl thing or what, but I’ve suffered from ulcers my entire life. Undiagnosed as a child, but now looking back on it, my symptoms were the same as now. I was first diagnosed at 19.

I think as a kid drinking a lot of Coke contributed, but mostly I am a somewhat high stress person by nature. I have learned over the years how to cope with this as best as possible.

I am sorry for your dd. It can be a miserable road.

A lot of stomach issues in children/adolescents/young adults stem from stress. Mainly anxiety.

Anxiety can manifest in many ways. Many kids(even adults) who have GAD do not even realize they have it.

GAD can cause ulcers, IBS, reflux, upset stomachs, bathroom issues....

Tingling, chest pain, migraines, dizziness, nausea, tinnitus, shortness of breath............ the list can go on.

Many more kids are suffering from anxiety due to society issues, family issues, peer problems, etc....

Some GAD are hereditary, and it is truly a chemical imbalance. Both my daughter and I have this. We both must be on medications to even function. It is a real health problem.

When nothing medical can be found for certain health issues, exploring mental health should not be discounted.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/4/thread.aspx?id=131238

Read my new thread. I hope you get answers. We are a work in progress.

I'm not sure, but praying for all of them. I called the GI doctor's office, and they are supposed to call me back with her biopsy results. She is complaining of a new pain that is somewhere different than where it was before. I just don't know what to think or do. Soda is a rare thing in our home. We don't eat fried foods, we almost never get food from the drive through fast food places. I don't know what to do or think. I try so hard to avoid cooking food that irritates her. But so far, the only food she said doesn't bother her is plain rice and saltine crackers. That is hard to work with. I said all that to say I know your struggle, and it's tough!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat