Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Third update at the end.

re: Third update at the end.

Just a random thought, and I only have a second before I head out the door but has she tried Aloe Vera juice? You can mix it with something to lessen the taste depending on the brand but google how Aloe Vera has helped people with similar issues to your dd (my biodad had severe gastro issues for about 35-40 years and within 6 weeks of starting AV his gut was 75% improved--within 6 months gone completely, it was his heart that eventually killed him but he never had any tummy prob as long as he took AV every day)

((hugs to you and your dd))

I definitely agree with the possibilities of aloe vera juice!

I would also suggest looking into marshmallow herb -- it is mucilaginous and therefore soothing and coating.

Going to your holistic doctor sounds like a fabulous idea!!

If he/she cannot help, try a Traditional chinese Medicine (TCM) doctor. The Chinese have perfected healing the body via herbs over centuries and help tremendously.

I will pray for your daughter's healing. I'm so sorry, cricket.

I've had stomach issues for the last several years. Got scoped and they found nothing.

Gaviscon and slippery elm are the only things that gave me relief...that and cutting way back on coffee (only drink it on weekends). (IMPORTANT: GAVISCON HAS TO BE FROM THE UK and HAS TO BE THE ANISEED FLAVOR - a different formula and MUCH more effective) British Pharmacare has free shipping to the US I believe.

Do some research on slippery elm - it's very healing. I used Thayer's Lozenges and the powder as a tea.

Here are some helpful links:

https://www.amazon.com/Slippery-Elm-Original-150-Lozenges/dp/B0002UHJ2K

https://www.amazon.com/Bulksupplements-Slippery-Extract-Powder-grams/dp/B01MRRZO3H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1509139020&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=slippery+elm+powder&psc=1

https://www.britishpharmacare.com/brands/gaviscon/gaviscon-advance-aniseed-flavour-500ml.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lpreflux/

The facebook link for LPR Support is extremely helpful. It's where I learned about Gaviscon from the UK. Hope this helps.

I know there is aluminum in Gaviscon, but I felt the benefit outweighed the risk. It's very effective if you take it right before bed - don't eat or drink anything after. It forms a seal at the bottom of the esophagus, so acid can't climb up during the night.

You're a great mom, Cricket. An advocate. I'll be praying that under the diet changes, healing will be done.
Michelle 32

I"m so sorry that your dd is in so much pain. We really do need to ask the question - why are so many young people dealing with these types of issues? I know I've shared before about the possibility of anxiety and you don't believe this is attributing to her issues and I understand that. How long has your dd been on these acid reducers? Unfortunately what they've found is that damage is happening on the outside of the esophagus versus protecting, healing and preventing the damage on the inside of the tract. This week there were some articles that were about the high rate of young people dealing with anxiety and the experts are asking why? What is interesting to note is how the body responds to the anxiety and over time, left untreated, gets worse - not just in a mental health way but in a physical way. But, could it be something in the food source chain? Chemicals in the food and exposure over the years? So many questions and parents are left trying to figure out how to help our children.

ITA with 1shortmom.

My 19 yo has anxiety. She had all kinds of issues with her stomach when she was around 10 yo. She ended up having an endoscopy, and found she had severe acid reflux.
It was all brought on by anxiety.
She was on Protonix for a long time to get it under control. And in the meantime, we sought out counseling for her. She is off of all acid reflux meds now. However, she takes a low dose of Prozac and she feels 100% better.
Anxiety runs in my family. So not sure if it is hereditary or not. We do have lots to learn about it for sure.

I also agree with Aloe Vera Juice.

Cricket,
I hope she feels better real soon. But do explore the possibility of anxiety. It manifests in several different ways, and even your dd may not even realize she has it. Especially if the pedi GI can find no medical reason for the cause of all her acid .There are many holistic ways to treat anxiety. Not everyone has to be on prescribed meds for it.

That's true about so many holistic ways to treat anxiety. You could look into massage, harp music, acupuncture/acupressure, painting or other crafts/art, and herbs, just as some examples. I remember you said she is very happy and energetic, but sometimes people have anxiety *alongside* being happy, as well. (It sounds like an oxymoron, but it can happen.....) With the body/mind, anything's possible!!! :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat