Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Please evacuate

re: Please evacuate

Lizamoe is in Puerto Rico, prayers for her and her family. This looks like it will be a rough night for her.

I understand why everyone stays, too. But, there is no excuse that trumps endangering others.

I don't know if you've read about the folks who DID try to drive out of Katrina, Minnie. By doing so, they did indeed endanger others (+ themselves). **Because** they were driving, it was worse. That is why Houston's mayor did not order evacuation. It is a complicated situation, but for sure, those staying are not endangering others any more than if they tried to leave. Kind of lose-lose. :(
My heart goes out to everyone - like I said, I used to live in a typhoon region and we got them regularly as it's the same seasonal time span as hurricanes. Many prayers being said for my fellow Americans!

This storm is so unpredictable. From the looks of it, all of coastal Florida (east and west coast), coastal Georgia, and coastal South Carolina will or could feel the effects. There's no way all of us from three states can safely and feasibly evacuate. I've seen and heard friends being stuck in traffic for hours on end. We aren't being forced to leave, but so many others are, so my family is one less occupying space on the roads, using up fuel, etc.

None of the decisions being made are easy or taken lightly.

Minnie, I haven't seen any excuses here. Only reasons. I realize our views are different.

Did your family (dh, parents, ds/dil) evacuate?

My house is near Lake Okeechobee. My daughter and myself evacuated yesterday and came to my sister's in North Central Florida. My husband and son had to stay and work. We are praying fervently for everyone's safety.

There are so many deciding factors when it comes to evacuating. I feel so sorry for people who don't have the money to prepare. We've spent hundreds of dollars preparing for this storm. I'm also thankful that I had somewhere to evacuate to and that I came early before the traffic got bad. It is horrible out there today. Every major road is packed with people. Small town people are having a hard time getting where they need to go because all the evacuees are pouring through our towns. It is crazy out there! Almost every store is out of gas and water all the way up the state. When they get supplies in, it disappears quickly.

The worst thing is to see how many people are hogging supplies. They are stocking up on more than they will need and depriving others of much needed resources.

That said, so many people are being kind and generous as well. Things like this bring out the worst and the best in people.

No, we are not in an evacuation zone. But, we would be idiots, too. We are in first and second responder jobs. We are not allowed to leave anywhere. In a perfect world, all people in evacuation zones would leave, then all of us 1st and 2nd responders would be allowed to leave, too.

We have a lot of friends, however, who flew out earlier in the week. The trick is getting enough gas for the cars. Our governor is working on getting this done. There are only two main roads in and out of Florida. So getting gas here is not a problem if Federal gas regulations can be overlooked for a few days. The planes bring in their own gas. The airlines are trying to get in extra flights. Again, having to fight federal regulations is a holdup.

Right now I cannot find my Miami family. I cannot tell if they made it out or not. They are not in an evacuation zone, but, I thought they might try to leave.

On a humorous note, my 89 yo FIL has been reporting to his British friends what it is like to fill sandbags.

Ugh, just heard from my cousin in Miami. She and family and animals are staying.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat