Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Please evacuate

Please evacuate

It is because of the idiots who stay home during an evacuation, those of us idiots who work in law enforcement and emergency medicine must give up being with our families and finding safety with them.

Consequently, if you have family, a day off, or whatever, help the invalids, old, and poor get out if you can. I remember my dad helping Katrina victims by driving right into south Mississippi and delivering supplies and driving people out. He didn't know a soul down there. Having said that, it is a little late to drive into Miami right now to get people. But, keep it in mind for the future.

I am stuck in the panhandle planning to lie on the beach Monday while the rest of Florida will be surviving a hurricane. But, it looks like I won't be able to drive back home for my 4 days off work. No gas. I am quite thankful I am not working in the south Florida hospital that I work at other times.

re: Please evacuate

Are their mandatory evacuations going on now other then the keys? I haven't seen updates today .

However , even with you in the panhandle I seriously doubt you are going to avoid this hurricane either . The storm is 400 mikes. That is pretty much the whole state of Florida .

I agree that if you can get out. Do it. Saw a video of a cat 4 and 5 hurricane and I have no idea how any structure can survive that kind of wind.

I also read that there are no hotels in certain areas of GA. Some people were able to get flights out and come up north here to stay with family.

This is one scary @ss storm.

Better go get my updates. Stay safe

And now there's Tropical Storm Jose and Katia??!! Looks like Katia is in the Gulf of Mexico.

We were suppose to leave early Monday morning for the panhandle for a few days, but looks like we're not going now. No big deal, other than the condo lady wants us to wait to see what the storm does on Sunday before she refunds us. Well ok.... But I really don't think we'll be going. I don't want to be stuck down there. I just hope those people leave while they have a chance. It's just too dangerous to try and ride out the storm.
Sharee

Hurricane Andrew was a cat 5 storm, IIRC, and HUGE. It caused catastrophic damage for miles and miles in FL and spun off either 69 or 89 tornadoes (again, IIRC). :O It went across the state, intensified again in the Gulf, then made another landfall in LA, doing more damage there. We had friends in Homestead, FL, who had lived there for years. Their area was so devastated, they moved up here and have lived here ever since.

Minnie, your governor declared the whole state of FL to be in a state of emergency a couple of days ago -- I remember the feed said every county. !!! So you may not be able to lie out on the beach in the panhandle. Of course it would be wonderful if you could. I just wouldn't be counting on it.

If Sherrie is here today, I am hoping you guys will evacuate! When I read your post, I was very concerned. I think I'd be heading to Ga since you have relatives here.

kesa is right about hotel rooms here. I heard on the news last night that people are even going to Atlanta from the GA coast. People are taking this storm very seriously, maybe because of Harvey. But my motto has always been, I'd rather be over-prepared than not prepared enough.

M4J, I had not heard of those other storms. Mercy, are they lined up one after the other??? I remember one year (in the early '00s) when Fl was hit by one after another after another, somewhere not far from Tampa (seems that one of them was named Charley?). It was unbelievable.

This post was edited on Sep 06, 2017 02:47 PM

Idiots??? Really??? Where would you like us to go, Minnie?? Georgia? The border is over 350 miles away. Even with a full tank of gas, which I currently have, I cannot make the border. There.is.no.gas. Extra gas is needed for the generator for, among other things, my FIL's CPAP machine. And then, even if I do decide to drive, where you living in FL during Floyd or Rita??? Do you remember the traffic? Do you remember the accidents and fatalities?? No offense, but I've been here my whole life. I remember Andrew, I remember the awful, awful gridlock, and the fear of riding out a storm not in your home, but on a highway, in a virtual coffin on wheels.

My inlaws cannot be moved without major intervention and my husband's job is such that he has to stay in our county (Broward - yes, the one being evacuated) to help with emergency operations.
So my decision to make is either to take the kids and run, splitting up our family which is just an awful thought, or staying and praying for the best.

You are blessed to be out of the danger zone right now. Own it for what it is, and thank God for it. And you are there because of work. You are not with your family because you are working, not because people are making a critical life decision right now of whether they are better off staying where they live or fleeing for their lives. I'm glad you are able to be on the beach, that's quite a relaxing way to spend a day, and really not one to be complaining about. Just know that while you are, through no fault of our own, we will be weathering Irma.

Poor poor word choice, and quite frankly, from one Southern lady to another, I'm disgusted.

I just hope that you all and your families are safe and make the best decisions you can for all involved, given your individual circumstances.

Praying here.

Anne

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/09/06/Tropical-Storm-Jose-gains-strength-behind-Irma-Katia-forms/9571504625837/

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/fl-reg-tropical-storm-jose-forms-20170905-story.html

Gr8ful, I'm not entirely sure, but I think from what I've been reading that they will not affect the areas hit by Harvey or the areas in danger from Irma. I'm not 100% sure but I've been reading a few articles on the web.... Regardless, it is working up to be a strong and terrible storm season! Where I used to live, we dealt with typhoon season (basically, hurricanes, but occur over water not land), and you stocked up and geared up never knowing if it would be "just" a storm or something violent and deadly. So I really empathize with everyone in the path of Irma because my, I've been there.

Now I'm back to my native snow and ice...and looks like we're going to have a fierce snow season.
https://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-outlook/2018-winter-forecast/

This post was edited on Sep 06, 2017 02:59 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat